Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a sticky for FAQ's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey folks,

I've never done it before, and it may be an obvious question, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Would you guys be willing to search out and suggest some TB Luthier links to an FAQ sticky? I'd like to suggest this sticky to a moderator, but feel that I should have the research done first. Now, I'd be willing to search out and suggest all kinds of links, but that would only be those valuable from my perspective/experience, which is limited. Those of you with way more experience would have a better idea of the value of earlier threads, and your suggestions would carry more weight.

So, if you would, could you take a few minutes and run a search or two using the most commonly discussed keywords you can think of, and copy/paste a few good links to your replies here? That way we'd have something to go on. Don't forget to include topical matter (ie: "this is a good link on suggestions for tools").

Thanks!

paul

Oh yeah, here's a contribution, which is a link to a thread with links to tool threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182206&highlight=tools

Or, how about this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175652&highlight=shop

Other ideas could be suggested reading materials, common dealers for supplies (though I don't know how that one would go over), safety, finishing, shop pics, etc.

2. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    These seem to be favored around here:

Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-Body, Hollow-Body and Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars
    by Martin Koch

Make Your Own Electric Guitar
    by Melvyn Hiscock

To a lesser extent (though I found it useful):

Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass
    by Dennis Waring, David Raymond

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm giving this a bump on the chance that there's more people around today with some extra time.

If no one has suggestions, then I'll go ahead and search out the threads that I think are relevant and submit them for sticky-hood.

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The real sticky should just say DO A SEARCH!

By the way, we should put back that tips and tricks thread. I came up with a few while I was building out my last couple of instruments and wanted to add them. I've since forgetten the tips but I think that was a cool thread idea (assuming said tricks were verified by more than one person).

6. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah, whatever happened to those tutorials you guys had goin?

-Josh

7. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
  8. Maybe now people will contribute to the thread. I doubt it though. The last one died after 6 months because no one contributed - except me (there was one other post) but I wasn't keen on the idea after that. I'm envisioning the same old, same old - Folks like to take away from here but not many like to give something back.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A good idea!

The old one gave me another push to making my bass myself, but when I got to the point of using the tips there, it disappeared and I couldn't find it... I was quite disappointed.
    I have to be going now, but when I get back, I'll post some links I've collected

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Now, is that an old pessimist or what? (was it me who posted it???:confused: )

I think we should give it a second try. However, there has to be some kind of restriction. We don't want a 658 pages sticky, with three tutorials/tips, and the rest half-off-topic disussions.
    The result, if restricted, would be a nice basis for a book...
    "The TalkBASS tutorial of Luthierie" :D

Seriously, I support the idea.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  12. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
  13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    It's actually almost done. Yes, it's long, and yes, there's a lot of links. There's a section specifically for "how-to's," but unfortunately there aren't a lot of how-to threads here. If you have info on outside links (other than the ones already mentioned) I'd love to have them!

btw: thanks for the suggestions guys!

14. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
  15. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  16. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    Have any of you more experienced builders ever thought about writing some sort of e-book, (obviously it would have to be written when you get 5 minutes spare between building dream basses)

You could sell it through ebay or maybe through TB itself.

I for one have found the tips and advice you guys have to offer amazingly helpful, I wish i could give more back but right now i know nothing that you guys dont, plus there is always a danger of giving out wrong information.

If some kind of e-book were available i know i would be in the que to but it.

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  18. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  19. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Why reinvent the wheel? There's already a few sites with all the info this site covers so you can just print it out. There's also plenty of books that cover the entire build process from start to finish. It's worth spending $30 to have a book in front of you while you're in the shop working and might have a question.

20. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Okay guys, it's up!

for better or for worse:p