Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a SWR LA-8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Jan 7, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Gonna get one of these for carrying about round to my guitarists house and laying down some ideas before recording with the proper rig at home. I have heard lots of good reviews here on talkbass and it all sounds in order, and at £180, fairly cheap. I was just wondering if anybody had anything to add since the last posts i read, so if you have tried/bought one, let us know what you think!

Thanks,
    Chris and the dogs

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I played around with one in the store. Pretty good tone for low volume playing. I'd think it would be a great amp for practicing at home or playing along with a guitar player, but it doesn't like to be pushed too hard at all.

The guy at Mars told me they had several come back because the input jack had caved in, so they may not be the most durable thing out there. (Even the LA-15 is pretty lightweight)

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yeah, I read something here about the input jack 'rattling' or something. I will most probably get one just cos its so tiny and apparently it sounds good.. It doesnt have to sound amazing for what I will be using it for, really.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I think the only reason I would get one would be for the tone. The same money could probably get you something a little more durable and louder (but then, maybe not as lightweight).