Getting A Teacher (finally)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bcarll, Oct 10, 2002.

1. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Well after a year of trying to teach myself how to play I am giving into getting a teacher. Called four today in the area and after talking to them settled on one that first -- had morning lessons avaliable which I need due to work schedule-- he also just asked the right questions and made feel comfortable talking to him. He also said he demands his students to sight read but also teaches the reading of chord charts and ear training. He also has a recording studio at the site and regularly his band practices there and that we would test my progress by lettng me sit in as bassist when I was ready. Is that just neat or what! He teaches all kinds of bass even jazz. He plays the bass in his band and is his primary instrument but has a clasical piano background. It really sounds good so I think I'll call him back tomorrow and make my first appointment. He said to bring the books I have been playing out of the past year so he knew where I have been and what I have been learnnig out of and we would go from there.

So here I go getting even deeper into this world of the bass and it's exciting.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    having a teacher or two is an invaluable asset in one's development as a bassist

I have been playing bass for 18 years now and the times when I have been in intensive study with someone is when I usually make the most progress...nowadays I teach lessons but I am still studying with a couple of great teachers

I also regularily approach other bassists for lessons no matter what their level of expertise because there are always more things and perspectives to learn

best of luck to you...enjoy