1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting a tone knob put in?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blink281, Apr 7, 2009.

1. blink281

blink281

Apr 7, 2009
    Well recently i stumbeled upon a great deal. For 625 dollars i could get my hands on a rare pink mark hoppus bass with strap locks, strap, and gig bag. This bass is like i said extremely rare and a amazing deal, but i only ahve one problem. The bass doesnt have a tone knob and i am playing everything from punk to jazz. I definitly need a wide variety of tone so there for i want to put in a tone knob. I will not do this on my own beacause i know i dont trust myself. Has anyone out there got a tone knob put in from guitar center. If so can you please tell me how much this operation would cost??? Thanks.

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    hey i had one , got it in mint shape with a gig bag for 440$. Of course it was not the rare pink color , just daphne blue. Anyways decent bass i just hated it was osmone signature sold it last week for 450$.

You could get a tone pot for 5$ and install it easily. You could drill another hole in the pickguard no biggie. Or you can get a staked volume and tone pot and not have to drill a hole.

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    A tone knob is easy to put in so you should be able to do it yourself without trouble. It's just a pot and a capacitor. It only costs you a few pounds or dollars or more if you need to buy a soldering iron.

4. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    I would go with the stacked pot idea. You can't beat the convenience.
    It's also a plus if you decide to sell it.

5. blink281

blink281

Apr 7, 2009
    well if i bought a tone pot wouldnt i have to do wiring.....See i dont exactly know how to do any of this...i mean if nobody knows how much it would cost does anyone know where i can get direction on how to install a tone knob...note i am not good at wiring.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You don't really need the knob. You can put a cap across the jack and fine tune the tone from the amp.

7. blink281

blink281

Apr 7, 2009
    ok so im going to make this clear....i really dont want to do any wiring....i really just want to know how much guitar center will charge me. If not i would at least want to know some step by step directions on exactly what i have to do to install a tone knob...but i really just want to know how much guitar center will cost me. Thanks

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you want to know what GC will charge you call them up and ask them. They have a phone.

9. That's probably the only good answer you'll get here. To do it yourself, if you have a soldering iron or can borrow one, will cost you about $15.00 in parts (pot, cap, and knob). All you need is a drill, a small screw driver a 1/2" wrench and the soldering iron.

For comparison, I just called the owner of the local shop here and he says for his tech to do it would be around $50, parts, labor and tax included.

The whole operation would probably take ten minutes.

10. Go with a bypassable tone control, so you can retain the original tonality of the bass, or use the tone control when you need it.

GC will likely charge you more money than it's worth for this job.
    Remember that you will be charged for the techs labor in addition to the parts. This job takes a few minutes and costs very little.
    Get yourself and soldering iron and do this yourself.

11. blink281

blink281

Apr 7, 2009
    k thanks guys...see ive been on vacation so i needed a quick awnser but im going to attempt to do it my self thanks