Getting a Warwick, and many thanks to Bass Central

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I think that a lot of people hating Warwicks are listening to them alone in stores, and not in the mix with their bands. I love the way that they mix in. The lack of highs may be a problem if every one of your songs is a bass solo, but highs never cut through distorted guitars and sound good doing it anyways.

At first I was worried that people would think I'm a poser getting a warwick because everyone else has one, but I realized that 99.9% of the audience doesn't even know what a bass is, and only 1% of the people that do know what a bass is have opinions that I give a crap about anyways. And whether you like it or not, I still dont think anything growls like a Warwick, even if they are overpriced, too heavy, and ugly. That is the main reason I got it. Sound is still the bottom line.

I am thinking that I am going to switch the MEC's for Barts, being that I have always had a thing for Barts. Who knows, maybe the MEC's will sound fine.

As for Bass central, I would like to thank Beaver, Gard, and Grasshopper for putting up with me. I can't count how many times I was was on the phone with the poor guys changing my mind about which bass I wanted, which color I wanted it in, whether the figured top was nice enough, etc.

After all of that, they still worked with me very well on price, and maintained a helpful and polite attitude. I feel bad for all the trouble I put them through, but it may be some comfort to them that they have earned my business for as long as I play and as long as they continue with their excellent service. I would highly recommend them to anybody purchasing bass gear, and am very happy with my dealings with them.
  2. If you don't care what people think then why did you post ;) I rest my case.
  3. Sooooo........ which one are you getting?
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

I don't own one but I love how Warwicks sound -- both alone and with a band. I just played a Corvette (Standard, I believe), and it killed!

The MECs sounded better to me in passive mode than active (although the battery might have been dying in the one I tried)...

Anyway, enjoy your new axe :bassist:
  5. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Oh yeah, forgot that part- Thumb 5 BO.

I was just posting to say I had a realization, and to say thanks to the Guys at bass central- they're great.
  6. i hardly ever see people playing warwicks.
  7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Yeah, my guitarist pointed that out to me when I said I thought they were a bit trendy- Only one bass player out of all of the shows I played had one. The fact that he was wearing a Mudvayne beanie was what got me worried I think.
  8. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I'd like to say that that's a good choice - I just returned from my local store five minutes ago where I paid the pre-charge for Thumb 5 BO which is now being built for me :bassist:
  10. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    um, yea.:rolleyes:

Right back at ya, bud.

I played the BO and NT and didn't feel there was enough of a difference in feel to justify the NT price difference at this point. That said, I would have picked the NT if not for that. I'm thinkin I'll be happy with it- hope you like yours.

edit: spelling
  11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    BC rules, I like everyone there and I have bought 95% of my gear from there. I actually felt weird buying my (used) Sadowsky from Roger directly, but that was the only place I could get it from.

Warwicks also rule, I loved the sound of the Thumb NT 5 I owned for a week or so. Just like you said tho', it was too heavy for me. I also loved the Streamer Pro-M I had, and I am still kicking myself for selling it. I thought I needed a 5 string at the time, so the Pro-M had to go....:bawl:
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Ian!

Thanks for the props, and we're cool with you changin' your mind - it's all about you getting the right bass for you, y'know.

...but you change your mind again, and we're takin' out a contract on you!