Getting a warwick...Corvette FNA Jazzman or Corvette FNA Jazzman Limited Edition???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 21, 2004.

1. I have been looking at warwicks, and tonight I played a corvette FNA Jazzman (with the 1 MM style and 1 J-style P-up)...It was THEE punchiest bass I've ever heard or played.

Now my dilemma is...
    I have the funds to do either the standard type, or the LTD edition one (only 200 made...signed on headstock, etc...)...

I like the looks of the LTD one a bit more, but it has differences...
    Bass: Standard
    Body Woods: Swamp Ash w/ 2 piece flamed maple AA top
    Neck: 3 pc. Ovangkol
    Fretboard: Wenge
    Pickups: MEC J/MM (Passive) w/ Pole Pieces
    Electronics: kinda weird...the catalog says it's got a Basslines Active 3 way pre-amp, and the website says its got a MEC Active BEC III-2, 3 way I'm not sure abotu that.

Bass: Limited Edition
    Body Woods: Walnut Back w/ swirly Bubinga Cap
    Neck: Ovangkol
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Pickups: Same as above
    Electronics: I believe these are the same as well..

I guess the biggest thing is, if anyone has played both of these types of basses, is there a tonal differencE? if so, is it a great one?

And then using knowledge of wodds and such...What would be the tonal differences between the standard with Ash/Maple body and Ovankol Neck/Wenge Board as opposed ot the LTD edition one with Walnut/Bubinga body and Wenge Neck/Rosewood Board?

Any help, or input is greatly appreciated
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    LTD, definitely, LTD.

If not just for the wenge neck alone.
  3. any comments on tonal differences?

Oct 28, 2003
    I have a mint FNA JazzMan 2002 model that i purchased about 2 months ago, its the blonde model, im selling it for 800.00 bucks, ill pay for shipping, if u are interested ill send pics, send me your E-mail, im looking to get a Fodera thats why im selling, by the way your right awesome bass, the Fna JazzMan
  5. i play a ltd edition jazzman. great bass. the neck is ovangkol not wenge.

different electronics too. the standard jazzman has a SD basslines preamp, the ltd edition has an mec pre amp. pulling the volume control on the std gives you a "slap contour EQ". pulling the volume on the ltd gives you full passive mode, complete with a seperate passive tone knob.

reasons to get the ltd in my opinion.

great look! that swilry bubinga top does it for me big time. everywhere i take that bass people look at it with amazement. abalone inlays are nice too.

presumably higher resale value.

i love the passive bypass mode, great for recording or old school vibes.

you have a fairly rare bass, if that flaots your boat.
  6. Can you break down the knob setup on the bass for me then?
  7. the controls on the ltd are stacked vol/pickup pan (pull for passive mode); treble; mid; stacked bass/ passive tone control

hope that helps
  8. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    LTD for sure, I use the passive feature a lot
  9. thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    All I can say, is how can you say no to this?
  10. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    bump for an old thread.

i have aquestion about both FNA (limited an std):

do they have the "beisball bat" round big neck? or a thin comfortable plying one?