Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting almond oil off?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rayle_Trail, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    Hey guys, my first post ever on this site and no doubt it has been asked many times before (there was a que) ;) . I just got up to the prep sanding of my first bass getting ready to send it to a company who does 2-Pak lacquer finishes, My mum (a therapeutic masseuse) wanted to show a client of hers the bass, and in the process discoloured a large part of the fret board and body with her hands which were covered in almond oil. The wierd thing is that it looks really spotty on the end of the fret board like its been sprayed with something, but it hasn't???????????
    I was wondering how to get the oil off? I heard turps and that typa stuff can burn the timber?? :confused: I was also wondering if the oil would react and stop the 2-pak from bonding to the timber properly upon application?
    Any ideas?

2. Oils on natural woods are there for the duration especially in the light exposure you've gotten. The oil has seeped into the wood slightly and were you to use any of the solvents to try to remove it, they would likely drive it further into the wood. About the only thing I can recommend is to use one of the polymerized oil finishes that can be coated with with poly and use that. This would bring the entire bass to the same shade and then the lacquer can seal it up.

BTW, what is 2-pak? Here, lacquer is lacquer. We have 2-part finishes but they are other things.

3. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    I'm pretty sure 2-pak is 2-part, it's the finish they do on cars for high gloss, its just what everyone calls it here, which makes information from this site,however usefull, very hard to de-cypher :crying: . thanks for the help.

4. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)