1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting an Allen Woody bass to thump?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mapadofu, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mapadofu

mapadofu

Mar 19, 2013
    I'm thinking about buying a Hofner Icon bass, and using it to get the thumpy kind of early Beatles sound. However, I'm also attracted to the Epi Allen Woody bass, in part due to looks in part due to the fact that I've only seen good reviews of it. Unfortunately I'm not able to try out the Epi bass in person, so I'm wondering if any of you have an Allen Woody, and tried to get that type of sound.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had one with labella flats and it was very thumpy. It's chambered while the Hofner Icon is fully hollow, so I think the Hofner would be more thumpy. But the Allen Woody was a great bass. String it with tapewounds and you'll have a thump monster.

3. mapadofu

mapadofu

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion; I probably would've forgotten to consider using tapewounds.

4. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    I had chromes on my for about 8 months. Very thumpy to me, too much. I went to pressure wounds.

5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    If you can't get thump out of one, you ain't gonna get thump out of anything .

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I played on of the Allen Woody basses at a store and it sounded fine with rounds. The neck was really slim and it felt kinda like a toy.

Allen woody usually played the SG style basses with the neck mudbucker pickup and sometimes he played the thunderbird basses. Both of those basses thump like there is no tomorrow.

I played one of the Gibson EB3 basses recently and they have a beautiful tone, better than the epiphone model.

7. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I played my AW on several gigs, nice thump, good tone choices. I played with a pick as well as fingers. Two things, remember it is a short scale, and it has a little neck dive .