1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting an Epi T-Bird pro tomorrow, any upgrades I should make?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doctorpunch, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I can never buy something and be satisfied out of the box, always change a few things to fit my needs. I know right off the bat straplocks are flying onto this thing and I've seen a lot of TBErs butting new bridges on. Suggestions?

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    People often buy a bass and mod it immediately, never actually "learning" what the bass is like in it's stock form. That is a mistake, IMO. Every bass and every player are different, and don't require the same things to make them "great". You can have 2 identical looking P Basses (for example) and one will be perfect "stock", and the other will need new pickups and a new nut to make it equal to the first.

Spend some time with it and figure out what YOU don't like about it (if anything), and then formulate a plan to get it sounding/playing like YOU want it.

What someone else likes doesn't matter...it's all about YOU !

:D

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Agree with the concept of a learning period on a bass. A couple months at least.

Really... don't go into a new bass looking for what's wrong with it tonally. Learn the bass's character and personality. Every change you make changes that personality somewhat. Make changes to soon and you're always chasing tone and never learning what the real instrument is actually about.

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hiho,I,ve got one and the best thing to do is set it up first cause mine was set up by someone who hasn,t got a clue and I,m bein diplomatic.
    You might want to do the strap pin move but apart from that they,re pretty good and a drop d tuner if that floats yer boat.
    I got mine and gigged it that night with a backbow and high action and everyone said it sounded immense.It is a lot better now with relief sorted and a nice low action.

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I would agree with the others here. Don't bother changing anything unless you know what you want and are going for really. And you won't know that until you've played with it for a while.

Get a good setup and play away.

This comes from experience to. I had an Ibanez SR800 many years back and played the crap out of it every day until I was at that point where my ears could determine for me what was needed. I could tell that the mids needed some help and the sound wasn't very full (Stocks on those basses at that time were terrible. The bass itself was flawless though). Gutted the electronics and had a full EMG set installed. That really opened up the sound.

Again thoug, you wont know what that bass needs until you learn what it has to offer.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It needs a Fender neck...obviously...

fenderbird_rsg-1.
    (not mine, but I wish it was)

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve had mine for 6 weeks now and sorted the set up now and apart from a drop d tuner which would be nice for me but not essential and maybe the strap pin move I think you,ll find that it,s a no brainer bass.
    Good set up and plug in and enjoy

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    just another small one-get a big rig about 500 watt and crank it that,s all it needs

9. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Oh and a longer strap

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

Might be hard to due since its neck thru.

Sarcasm?

11. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hacksaw n a chisel-job done

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I wasn't being sarcastic - I think Fenderbirds are badass! Sure, it'd need a bit of routing done, but no big deal

13. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    that,s the great thing about the bolt on epis you can do this quiet easy.
    In answer to the original question -upgrades-long strap,spread those legs and get rockin

14. I just bought a Epiphone T Bird Pro. I've been playing over 30 years. Like others have said, I think it's wise to play a bass and get to know it thoroughly before rushing to modify. IMHO, this bass lacks for very little, I don't see a lot of room for improvement, and I really dig it as-is. I may put strap locks on before I gig it, but that's about it. Also, I bought the natural finish with the intention of having it refinished to Arctic White, but aside from the finish, the stock appointments are great. I don't think a new bridge is going to improve things all that much. I like that you can dial in the classic T-Bird tone, but the active electronics let you get some tones that a standard Gibson T-Bird would have a hard time getting.

Play and enjoy. Think about mods (if any) next year.

15. Please tell me you don't say that to dudes often.

16. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    only chicks I,m afraid

17. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Don't go straight to the modding stage bro, try it completely stock first. You might like it that way!:bag:

Actually why are you buying a bass and then modding it straight off. Save the money you would spend on mods and buy a better bass naw? A 2nd hand Gibson? I would buy one of the Tokai clones because they are typically better in construction and finish and have a better tone (I A/B-ed the Epi and Tokai once). I generally think Epiphones are overpriced (actually aren't they Samicks in disguise anyway?) because of the Gibson connection, and Epiphone says to me "too poor to buy a Gibson". The Tokai is on the lower plateaux of my GAS list, and I wouldn't change a thing on it!

18. I'm just curious what you would do. Change the pups? The pre? the finish is beautiful IMO on those basses, so that wouldn't be it. they have pretty good hardware, IMO.

Did you play it before you bought one?