Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting an F Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigers2, Jan 5, 2003.

1. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    well, the search is finally over for me.

i've haven't bought a bass in almost two years, and was about to go crazy! i was trying to get a custom bass built for me, but things just didn't work out with my bass being built (long story).

after a lot of playing of different basses, i decided that the feel and sound of an F Bass, was right for me. i found a great deal on a slightly used F Bass BN5 (natural finish). i will hopefully have the bass by the end of the week!!

here's a picture of the bass.

i can't wait :D :D

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Congratulations!! Gene is a very cool guy , great to deal with. You will love the F bass. Say hello to Michael Bell for me.. Happy New Year.

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    thanks adrian.

i'll definately tell Mike "hi" from you. your old sound-man from when you were in Florida showed up to visit Michael Bell at a show we played down in Akron. he had a lot of crazy stories about you :D

craig

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oh , man!! which soundman?? we had a couple- whatever he said, dont hold me to it, it was a long time ago!!- what was his name? id still like to get a copy of that video!!

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i can't think of his name right now. he said that he was your soundman for almost 5 years. i'll ask mike what his name is and also get a copy of the video for you.

craig

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    was his name Bruce!! of the famous walkout?? he got a little too much crap from the manager one sat night and he zeroed out the board and split!! we had 2000 people in there waiting for live entertainment-- I was entertained!!

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats Craigers2! Welcome to the brotherhood of F Basses. That bass will sound Killer, and you'll love how easy it plays.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm talking to the "A man" now about a new fretless 6 F. I gave him some specs -subject to change of course..

I've already gotta couple of basses in the making but the F would be the king.

9. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i think that was who it was, adrian. i'll double check with mike. i never heard that story about him just walking out! when i brought up your name, his exact words were (with a grin)- "I worked with Adrian for almost 5 years. He's a great bass player, and he lets everyone know it."

gfab333,
    i've played fellow TB'er Larry Kaye's F-Bass a couple of times and really fell in love with it. I compared the F-Bass to Larry's Sadowsky Modern 5 (which he sold), Modulus 5 (which he sold), and Lakland 5, and it really sounded and felt better than all of them in my opinion. i hope mine plays as nice as his
    :D
    i'll let you know in a week.

godoze,
    you definately won't regret buying the fretless 6 from Adrian. i really wanted to get a new F from Adrian, but couldn't swing the money right now. i found this one on bassgear and just jumped on it.

craig

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Craig, im the humblest cat around, man- dont believe that guy.. belive me, i know how much i suck!!:D

11. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    adrian.

he was just messing with you.

(by the way, i've seen clips of you playing and if you think you suck, then i should quit playing right now :D)

12. I was actually looking at that same bass. Gene has had it on the market for awhile. I was expecting some extra funds this past December that didn't quite pan out so I had to pass. Looks like a player.

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The bass will serve you well. Try some humbucking only settings. It's harder, but interesting.

George Furlanetto "F" is a great guy. He has helped me out personally a few times.

Also, if you are looking for nickel strings, Zon UltraSonic Regulars can't be beat.
    I like their tone even better than steels.
    Enjoy

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Big time congrats! You will love that bass.

Why did the other guy sell it? I don't understand that for a moment. Maybe so he can get a new BN-6?;)

My BN-5 actually makes me play better than I really can. This bass inspires me so much. Sometimes I almost feel like if I'd had my F Bass several years ago I'd probably be a much better bassist than I am.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah right! Like we believe that? Adrian don't be scammin' us, Bro. :)

16. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    it will take me some time to get used to the F Bass just because it is my first 5 string i've owned. i've played a lot of friends' 5 strings, but have only owned 4 stringers. i don't know if i'm going to jump right in and bring it to my gigs next weekend, or if i should do some serious practicing first on it. we'll see.

craig

17. Rockbobmel

Dive right in, soldier!!

An' don't look back. It'll take you about 2 hours.

18. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    that's what i'm thinking.

i'd feel really bad leaving a brand new "baby" at home. :D

19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Craigers and I have been trying out each others gear for about 4 or 5 months now!! The F bass I bought is very similar in color to the "turquoise" ones that Adrian had on his site. I have to agree there's just a gutty grittiness and ballsiness to these basses that I haven't heard in the more traditional basses, both on my amp/speaker combination and various ones Craig and I have played my axe through at the local Guitar Center.

I have to admit though that the strings take a little time to get used to as they don't feel as tight as my Lakland's, but both the sound and the controlability and gettability of a great sound in a variety of rooms just makes this bass special in my book.

I didn't have to say anything to Craig about why he should buy an F bass or why I think it's great. He played it (along with several other local talkbassers. They HEAR the difference.

Good luck Craigers2. We can do an A/B shortly. Take it to the gig. Take the risk and probably screw up a little bit. Practice your slapping for 10 minutes at home first, which is a little bit different feel, and leave that four string at home!! If you're at Quinn's again and you get the bass, we'll come and see you guys on Saturday for sure. Moral support is good!!

LKaye

20. Rockbobmel

The Zon nickel strings feel just about as tight as the Lake's. NO taper/exposed core on Zons.
    I never tried Zon's SS strings, though.
    I traded my 55-94 in for the F.