1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting annoyed with bass. Slap and translation of fretwork into obnoxious noises.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Thecomedian, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

Aug 16, 2012
    Ive been working on the bassline for Metallica's Orion, and when I try to move quickly to play the notes, the fretwork translates into clanking, even though I'm working damn hard to press the string as lightly as possible while maintaining quickness. At the same time, I've been trying to emulate "slap" and the main note is there, but there's an obnoxious high pitch tone sound. Both of these are minimized if I twist the mid scoop knob to the so called "slap/pick" function rather than "finger", as well as lower the treble boost on the bass to zero and lower the volume from max to about 6-7. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate the sounding problems? It's starting to get a bit irritating. I dont believe I had this problem with my old set of strings (they were, however, worn in for about 4 months). I bought a set of elixir roundwound, the old set was ernie ball, if that makes a difference.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Two things.

Yep. The new strings are brighter. You'll have to compensate on your EQ.

Work those passages slowly and NAIL them perfectly before you try them at full speed. Then GRADUALLY bring it up to speed, never progressing to the next level of speed until you can play it PERFECTLY at the last speed. Odds are your old strings were covering up weaknesses in your technique before. The new bright ones won't"lie" for you.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Just keep practicing. You've been playing for what - a couple months? Just set you bass eq flat and work on your technique - slowly - until you are able to make the tones you want. Clacky sounds when paying fast are usually the result of striking the string downward onto the frets rather than plucking them parallel to the frets. Both styles are valid, but sometimes one is more appropriate than the other.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You obviously never heard Cliff's soloed bass parts. He clanked a lot. You just didn't hear it because of the rest of the music.

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    The majority of that clanking, buzzing, and miscellaneous finger noise is inaudible in a band mix. Don't worry too much about it.

6. RBellavance

RBellavance

Apr 17, 2013

:)

Thecomedian likes this.
  7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Moved to Technique

8. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've also found that these miscellaneous noises make a bass line sound "human" in a mix. I've set up my basses and adjusted my playing to avoid these noises, but after recording a few times, I've found that without the noise, the bass sounds bland and almost "synthy," so I've gone back to not worrying about the noise at all.

9. embrace the clang I say

Thecomedian likes this.