1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting another cab... 2x12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JHow, Mar 18, 2008.

1. JHow

JHow needs to practice more...

Jan 10, 2007
    Jackson Mississippi
    Ok my current rig is a GK 1001 with an ampeg 410 cab.
    I (try to) play everything, but mostly various genre's of rock.
    my main bass is a Peavey Cirrus 4.

I'm in the market for another cabinet to:

1- Add to the 410 during bigger shows (although realistically I probably won't need it)

2- To have a cab that is more portable than the 410, and to have a cab in two locations. (i.e. practice house and my house or church etc) I have an Ampeg B1RE head that I had before the GK, so it would be nice to have two rigs.

SO I was thinking about a 210 or 212 cab. Avatar looks nice price-wise. The Mark Bass 210 looks ideal, but 500 bones is alot.

My question is how would a 210 or 212 sound on a 410?
    Personal recommendations? I am aware of Dr. Bass, Schroeder, Avater, EA etc, but I've never been able to play from any of these companies.

I was thinking about 212's in the Neo series from GK and Avatar.
    any thoughts?

(I remember something about if you combine a 210 8ohm cab and a 410 8ohm cab, each of the 210 speaker get more power per speaker than the 410 speaker. Just want someone to confirm this)

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    If you are running alot of power, which it sounds like you would be for bigger shows, then the 212 would be a better choice .

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    212 for sure.... Dr Bass or Avatar either one have a great cab for the price! Stay with the 8 ohm if your 410 is an 8 ohm.

4. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    Since you are already running a GK 1001rbII I would highly suggest getting the GK neo 212. I absolutely love mine!

5. JHow

JHow needs to practice more...

Jan 10, 2007
    Jackson Mississippi
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm probably going to go with a 212 w/ Neo magnets.

Are the neo 212's from avatar, schroeder, GK etc about the same weight?
    (just wondering how much weight varied among the companies)

thanks-
    John.

6. Coachden

Coachden

Dec 13, 2006
    Pittsburgh Pa.
    My GK Neo 2-12 cab's weigh in at 65lbs. which is perfect for me.
    actually I've been think about adding the GK Neo 115 for bigger rooms. I also have the Gk1001 rb II. My rehearsal amp is a GK 210 bkl with an added 115 cab about 300w total. I just wanted to get as close to the same sound at rehearsal as I could.