Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting back in the game

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Jun 26, 2004.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I had quit playing bass about 6 or so months ago. I know, i know, stupidity. But im back in action and ready to get into it again. In the past i have researched every amp possible and ended up with 2 aggie 112's witha hartke HA3000 amp. well the aggies were sold, but still have the hartke lying around.
    By the end of this summer, ill have around 1500 or 1600 to buy a new rig after the hartke is sold. id like to go the power and pre set-up and either a 6x10 or an 8x10. ill be playing hard rock, classic rock, funk/slap. i like to feel my self play. any suggestions at what i should go for? im stuck in a rut with all the wonderful equipment there is out there. im open for 4x10 suggestions too. thanks

ps. id like to be somewhat unique, everyone has ampeg or swr.

2. Ampeg Svt 610 HLF is $899 shipped from MF. Sansamp RBI is $299 shipped from MF. QSC RMX1450 is $399 shipped from MF.

$899 + $299 + $399 = $1597

With that setup you'd be pumpin 450 Watts into the Ampeg, and you could add another 4 ohm cab to get the full 700. When you needed a lot of power with just that 610 you could bridge the power amp to get 1400 watts out of it. You'd have a rockin setup.

3. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    Maybe aggie 410 and a QSC power amp with some pre amp? Mind you id be buying used probably. Im thinking 6x10 or an 8x10 could be overkill. Id love to find a used EA iamp800, what would one cost if it was new? Im in NH for the summer, so there are no real music shops around, id only buy from bass central if i were to buy new. HMMM...

4. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I know this is in the amps forum, but would it be wise to get nice bass for around 1300 used, and buy a combo for around 600ish, for jamming with friends. i just cant decide. new bass or new rig? i wouldnt really be gigging till later this year, next winter probably. decisions, decisions.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Unique killer rig....

I am waiting for Fedex to deliver the last of it...

Used Yamaha PB-1
    demoed (used 2x) Crown CE1000
    Schroeder 1210

I've had the cabinet a couple days and I think I'm set!!!

6. Ampeg SVT4 Ampeg 8x10.

That's all you'd ever really need.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well id suggest avatar. Their good quality cabs and about everyone if not 50% of the people on this forum have played through em or have one. The 410 is 381$ whitch encludes shipping 1400 watts at 4 ohms also. For a head I'd maybe check out the GK line maybe the 1001 rb?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :smug: well that and an auto big enough to fit it... a strong healthy back too :p

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :confused: that's a bit of a stretch...

but yeah, the Avatar seem like an OK deal.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Yea that is a big stretch my bad but alot of people here use em.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is the BEST advice yet..........

At the end of the summer, take your $1500-1600 to fellow TB'er Gard at Bass Central in Orlando. With that much cash, Gard will fix you up like a pro.

-Mike

12. +1

Even if you can't physically get to the store, I'd recommend dealing with Bass Central. I talked to Beaver and Gard when I was trying to find a used GS112 and they hooked me up with a new one, shipped for not too much more than my used budget was. They are very knowledgeable on equipment and tones and will be able to recommend a rig that sounds great and has great value as well.