Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting back in the game

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Dec 14, 2005.

1. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Hey all,

I was playing bass for about three years until about a year or so ago when I was forced to sell most of my gear :( . Recently, however, I was able to procure a rather cheap rig [squire p-bass and Fender rumble-15 amp] and im starting to practice once more. I seem to still have my technique, and know most of my chords and scales, but Im just not quite sure how to start practicing again. I never really had any formal training, so even when I played before, it was mostly just jackin' around. What im looking for it some kind of regiment I can apply to my playing so that I can improve in both understanding the bass and playing with other musicians. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Obviously lessons from a good BASS teacher are the best way. But if you can't do that, get one of Ed Friedland's method books.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Sometimes just making up a situation is good. Imagine what the set list would be for your 'dream band'. Learn the parts and play with the recordings.

Make up a melody. Play it in different places on the neck.

Pick 5 notes that you can reach in one position. (don't worry if they are part of the same scale.... actually you can't pick 5 notes that aren't a part of some scale!) Then make up a part using those 5 notes. Imagine playing those 5 notes in a funk band.... a ska band.... invent a style.

Sing a note. See how long it takes you to find it on the bass.

Don't worry about being perfect, its a myth. If all you accept is perfection, you'll have nothing.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My warm up routine is to play a major scale from root to octave and back, then the same scale from the 2nd to the 9th, 3rd to 10th. I start in F and work my way up the neck. Limbers up the hands. I do this in 1/4 notes, with a metronome when I'm not on a gig. Then I do the same fingering but pluck two 8th notes for each fretted note. Then I move on to triplets and when I'm done, my hands are working pretty well.

You won't learn any theory doing this one. It's about muscle memory, strength and time. Far as theory goes, get a good gook and an ear training cd and dive in.

Welcome back!