1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting back into fitness/weight training

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DannyB, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    So I used to play defensive line in football and was a shot putter and discus thrower.. I haven't worked out in years (say, 1999 was the last?) and have gained a considerable amount of weight.

My wife and I recently joined a gym.. her to tone up and me to shed the fat and tighten the muscle back up.

They did the run of tests and basically said that my "lean weight" (meaning, at 0% body fat) would be 255 lb. Call me crazy, but is it odd for someone to retain that much muscle mass having not worked out for so long? I am wondering if it's a skewed test or if I'm really better off than I thought. My playing weight was around 280-290lb and at the time I hovered between 10 and 15% body fat. I just can't believe that 7 years of not taking care of myself (crappy eating, lots of beer) would retain that much.. I mean, that's only about a 2-3% drop in muscle mass.

Anyone around here much of a fitness guru? Is this normal? And if so, does this basically make it harder or easier to burn the fat? Just wondering what I've got ahead of me here...

2. Basically, if you have a lot of fat you likely have a lot of muscle underneath. When you lift weights while trying to lose weight, it isn't to build muscle - it's to attempt to keep as much of it as possible. Remember that when losing weight, a full 1/3 of what's lost is in fact muscle, and 2/3 is fat. Lifting weights doesn't even help you lose that much fat, it's the cardio that really burns calories. A benefit, however, is that having more muscle allows you to burn more fat while sitting around doing nothing. But anyways, chances are that despite your lack of exercise, you fed your muscles a lot.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Peter Squire.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I do not know how long one can retain muscle mass without dint of exercise for several years. I do know that experts say muscle is metabolically active and fat is not. Thus someone with a high degree of muscle mass should be burning more calories than someone with the exact same weight, but who has a greater percent of body fat.

Without knowing how the gym personnel determined your ratio of fat-to-muscle or BMI, I don't know how accurate their data may be. If they just had you step on one of the scales that gives you weight and BMI, your results may not be very accurate.

Another way they determine muscle is by sqeezing various areas of your body with a type of caliper. That is called the skin-fold test. The more skin they can pinch, the more fat you are said to have.

The most accurate is when you are totally immersed in a water tank and the amount of water you displace is calculated. That is said to be the best way, but such tests are expensive to administer and few gyms offer such a test.

Recently I read a study that says the very best measure is a simple one--your waist measurement. If you know what it used to be and can compare that to what it is now, that might be your best indication of whether you have indeed lost muscle and added fat.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So am i! I even quit drinking to loose some weight! reason, i am starting to play hockey again so i need to get in shape:)

PS good luck to your wings... they wont get past sharks though :)

6. I'm not sure what you mean by 0% body fat. Is that what you were told your % is? Because it is highly unlikely that you have a 0% body fat count. Even marathon runners have a small percentage of body fat. Its not healthy to not have any fat in your body.

As far as your muscle mass goes, it is perhaps more important to assess whether your physique is in good shape. You can be certain that not training for 6 years will result in atrophy in your musculature.

But there is one simple, all encompassing rule about weight loss and physical training:

more energy out than in will result in weight loss.

There are no easy fixes - most supplements and weight loss pills are simply snake oil. If you are wanting to lose weight, you need to assess your diet and physical output. Eating correctly and getting regular, effective exercise is the only true way to get results.

Good luck

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    he said he has 10-15% body fat but if you ignore that 15% of body fat 255 is how much he would actually weight.

I am same way dude, it’s not only mussels thought, a lot of it is bones and such. except if you ignore about 90% of body fat i'll weight 250 :)

8. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    to clarify - the "lean weight" would be what i would have at 0% (255lb). my "playing weight" was 280-290, at 10-15%.. I am a bit higher these days..

My goal is to get back to 10-15% which I believe is moderately healthy for someone in their mid-late 20's... my question was really more directed at the "lean weight" number, and is that going to pose more of a challenge or make it less of one to lose the fat.

Basically, I'm fat, and my goal is to not be fat.

9. For most elite athletes, about 4% body fat is desirable. For most of us, this will be very hard to attain.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmm here is a question, since I am not going to have enough food, like beer and vodka and stuff while loosing weight. That means I wont get enough vitamins while loosing this weight lose thing is going on right? Does anyone know what i should do to replace that?

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Beer and Vodka aren't exactly nutritious...

But if you're concerned about deficiencies you can always do some label hunting. Although what I think would be simplest would be to just eat healthy foods, these are typically chock-full of all that goodness anyways.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Man, this is hard... :)

13. You think a few years is alot? When my dad was in high school he did alot of weight training and played for the scottish schools rugby team, and was heavily into weights, unfortunatly due a a dodgy scrum and it falling in on him it broke his neck and pretty much ended his rugby career there, however when he was back on track he got into weights again, and now he hasnt done any physical training like that/on that level for the last 20-25 years, and he still retains a hell of alot of strength,

a few years back i spent 3-4 weeks working with italian students doing alot of physical activity (no not like that you lot :rolleyes: ), and in that time my calfs went from being lumps of flab to having definition, and i have done very little in the way of solid training since then, and they are still solid :D

however, yeah, im wanting to get back into weight training after my exams, im still not sure what path to take yet, if i should go with the high weight low rep or the lower weight high rep approach, lots of reps with more managable weight will give you more areobically and physically fit muscles, where higher weight with low rep will bulk out alot quicker

14. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I'm in the exact same situation as you. I quit working out when I graduated high school back in 99. put on a good 35-40lbs since. And this week was exactly 2 months of me being back in the gym. I did a body fat analisys at the same time last month and was at 26% body fat. I've dropped 4% body fat this past month but only lost a 4lbs.

Muscle tissue does deteriate very slowly. Most of your muscle mass will still be there the main thing you're going to notice is that you cannot lift as much as you used to be able to. Which seems odd. But the reasoning is your brain automatically limits you're available strength to avoid injuring itself. When you're on a workout routine and are routinely pushing your muscles to the point of failure the body becomes conditioned and will open up the throttle so to speak and you'll get closer to your maximum potential strength. This is why you notice big progression in what you're lifting early on and it slows down the longer you keep that routine.

Just curious, what type of routine are you starting? The guy that has been helping me out at the gym put me on an intense 4 night a week routine i'll share if you need ideas.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Go easy on yourself, that's all I say.

16. Best advice sofar ^

I think the body fat analysis thing we have is broken, keeps showing me as being 17% (was 24% about 3 years ago when i last did a very short stint of working out), but being 6 ft 4 and 196 lbs, i dont know, meh