1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting back into it.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nonohmic, Apr 3, 2015.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Hi all,

I am getting back into the bass after a good 6-7 year hiatus. Gave it up to DJ (yeah i know) but now my singular obsession is rock climbing and the DJ lifestyle doesn't fit well with that. So, it's back to the bass. And i'm super hyped!

Bought a Tobias Toby Deluxe IV which i have to say is a super nice playing bass for the price, and a Fender Rumble 100. Pretty happy with the set up for a re-entry into the game, stuff is sounding nice these days for cheap.

Anyways, reason for the post is I am going to be jamming some jazz with workmates. I met the guitarist today and he is very good. I haven't heard the drummer but I know one of the other guys that is going to be playing is technically brilliant too.

I am rusty but back in the day I was in funk and folk bands. On the technical side I was accepted to Jazz school (although never went) so I am comfortable following a chord progression as long as there's not too many change-ups. And can walk a bass line to blues well enough.

Getting into Jazz though, I'm a little nervous.. but I found this link How To Attack Jazz On Bass | Guitar Lessons @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com which seems to have some great advice for holding your own in a jam setting.

Thoughts on this advice? Any other things to keep in mind so I don't get myself lost?

Much appreciated in advance!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    vishalicious likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Subbed, sure you'll get some good answers, I want to read them, too. :)

3. I do not think that link got into anything new. It did cover it all well.

It's always; follow the chord progression and play notes of the active chord. Leave the scale notes - which are important - for later, you've got plenty with just chord tones right at first. Which chord tones? Root first, then the five and if you have room the eight is a nice safe, generic bass line. That leaves the correct 3 and 7 to throw in as needed on the 4 note chords. Main thing here is do you have room for some extra notes?

Yes, I know that also leaves the 2, 4 and 6. The 2 and 4 make good passing notes, not great for starting or ending a bass line on, but they are great passing notes. The 6 is neutral and goes well with any major chord. For example R-3-5-6 or R-6-5-3 the order is up to you.

I would suggest pulling up some jazz from Google, or whatever, and with whatever sheet music you will be using listen with the sheet music in hand getting a feel for the music. Paying attention to the rhythm (beat) so your internal clock gets used to jazz. Of course lock with your drummer, and also with the rest of the band. Be aware of stepping on the toes of the soloist. If the drummer brings out his brushes - lower your volume, i.e. back off and give the soloist room. Right at first do not worry with walking the changes, be happy with a good steady accompaniment.

My point - listen with sheet music in hand and make notations in the margins of the sheet music - that will help you when playing.

Good luck, you already know what I talked about above - relax and use some of it. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    vishalicious and kwaping like this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    That's some fantastic advice, thanks