1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting back into pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fullmetal, May 10, 2010.

1. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    I started collecting and building up my pedalboard this time last year, but not long after finishing it I ran into money trouble and needed to sell them :( Having never been able to experiment with them properly, I still remained curious about pedals.

So my band played a gig yesterday and my girlfriend dragged some of her friends along. One of them is a big fan of Muse (as am I) and he asked me to play bass in his project that he's getting together. We got talking and we seem to have similar ideas when it comes to music.

So let's say we get the project together and we start writing material, I thought maybe having some pedals might be a good idea. He's a bit of an effects freak and thinks some guitar/bass effects would work well together. I shortlisted what I'm after, I just wanted to get some suggestions.

Pedalboard: Pedaltrain 2, mainly because it gives me enough room to mix and match
    Battery: Undecided
    Fuzz/Dist.: EHX Russian Big Muff / Bass Big Muff, I'm undecided
    Phaser: EHX Small Stone / MXR Phase 90. Huge price gap but undecided
    Compression: Boss Compressor because I don't know many others
    Wah: Crybaby 105Q or similar

Any other ideas on what I might need / any suggestions about my selected gear? I think I've pretty much got it ok for starters, but I'm not sure.

Many thanks

-Jak

2. There's tons of people that can tell you better than me, but I've been experimenting with a bass big muff + prunes & custard and I can say that it gets some pretty gnarly muse-esc synthy distortion bass sounds.

EDIT: I also use a pedaltrain 2 and have a BBE supa charger underneath. It's basically the same thing as the pedal power 2 without the courtesy outlet for about $100 on amazon. Just an FYI.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I would suggest a Copilot Orbit instead of a Muff. You can get a pretty Muse-esque tone (IMO), and having a gate is a great feature. I understand it's a little more expensive, but they go up on the classifieds pretty often.

I would suggest a BBE Opto Stomp over the Boss compressor. Just like it better. Also, dirt cheap used.

You may want to consider a wah with a switch. If I'm doing Muse-esque things, I really like slow filter sweeps and it's hard to stay at the low end of a 105Q without it going into bypass. Maybe A/B a 105Q with an Ibanez Weeping Demon? I really like my WD and it has the spring option of the 105Q but you can set the time it takes to go to bypass mode.

4. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    TBer Bongomania has done reviews of almost every compressor worth mentioning, pedals and rack units in all. Check this out to learn what you need to learn about compression and what compressor you'd need.

If I were to give you a recommendation between the Russian muff and bass big muff, I'd recommend the black Russian muff. I think the Russian muff just has a better fuzz tone for those muse lines than the bass big muff and I've played around with both enough. Chris uses a few Russian muffs I believe anyway so I think it would be a better choice if you're trying to replicate that muse tone.

5. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Thanks to everyone who has responded.

@FunkyBassline

Thank you for the battery pack suggestion, I will definately check it out. I wanted to get a Pedaltrain 2 so that there would be room for the battery pack on top, but if I can get it on the bottom then I can get bigger/more pedals.

@Swimming Bird

I will check out the BBE Optostomp. I've seen it mentioned on here alot but I've never tried one out. I just want to get one to clean up my playing and apparently compressors are good for getting rid of fuzz pedal hum.

Also, about the wah with a switch, I used a Morley before and I didn't like the switch placement on it at all. It was very close to the pedal itself, making it hard to hit quickly. However, the Weeping Demon has a big switch and also has the auto-wah system. I'll definately try that out.

@Robertron

I have been trying to get hold of a Russian Big Muff because it is what Chris uses, but I have been unable to get hold of one (living in the UK, we don't get them) The BBM is easier to get, but it doesn't sound as thick.

Also, I have been checking out the Colorsound Bass Fuzz, and you can get a sweet synthy fuzz out of that from the demos I've heard, but the price is a bit steep for me. Can anyone provide a review on the pedal?

Many thanks

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Might also want to consider a good, synthy octaver like the Boss OC2, MXR Bass Octave Dlx, or something along those lines. Not necessarily for copying Muse tones, but as a cool, inexpensive effect to have in the fold for creating synth-oriented bass lines, especially when used in conjunction with a fuzz/dirt pedal.

Also, maybe look at some envelope filters, although that search could last years before finding the "right" one. The EHX Qballs Enigma is my favorite from all the clips I've heard, but the MXR M82 and 3leaf Groove Regulator get a lot of love here at TB. If you wanted to go cheap, a regular EHX Micro Q-tron sounds pretty good and can be had for $50 on the used market.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Personally I`d go for a flanger instead of a phaser, but that`s just me. I`d also suggest and envelope filter, a delay, and a chorus.

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    If you want a Boss , get the Bass Enhancer / Limited (LMB-3) instead of the compressor (CS-3). Much much better.

9. I'm not a huge Muse fanboi like some on here (no offense intended; I calls 'em like I sees 'em) but for a Muse-inspired board on a budget, here are a few of the pedals I would look into:

Dirt: Pigtronix Disnortion.

Great fuzz, with a lot more versitility than the BBM, plus a heck of an overdrive, and the octavia setting gates the dirt for a cool synthy sound.

Octave: EHX Octave Multiplexer

Very tweakable and versitile. I thing Chris has a couple of these on his current setup.

Synth: DigiTech Bass Synth Wah

Has some really cool tones, but they do take a lot of drawing out to sound good. For $40 or so used, though, you'll be able to handle it.

Of course, mix and match what you want, but those are some cool pedals that can be had for pretty cheap.

As for a board, a PT-2 is great, but kind of expensive, and the case sucks balls. It's pretty easy and inespensive to build your own board out of plywood, and use a piece luggage to carry it. The BBE SupaCharger is great, but if you're not using multiple digital pedals or ones that need more than 9 volts, a one-spot will probably suffice.

I wouldn't probably mess with a compressor right off the bat. Give it some time and see if it is actually something you would need.

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm getting back into them too.

My current setup is planned as:
    PT Jr
    X2 XDS-Plus
    Korg Pitchblack (need to buy)
    Xotic Bass BB
    Aguilar AGRO (when released)
    Eventide ModFactor

I also have a F/S for my Boogie that gets me another channel of OD/distortion, so I should be covered there. Or I may just buy a modded Bad Monkey and use that too... ;)

I'm lovin' the ModFactor though. I'm a phase/chorus/flange junkie and this is worse than crack at the present!