1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting back on that Horse

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jbaumboogy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jbaumboogy

Jbaumboogy

Dec 7, 2016
    Gentlefolk, I have spent the last decade away from gigging/recording/jamming/shredding and where I once played my bass daily, I find that I only play it on occasion now. With marriage, career and children taking center stage, I set my musical journey on the shelf; vowing to one day return. I feel like now is that time. I'm looking for advise on how best to get "Back on that horse." Former Gear: Ampeg SVT3-Pro head-Ampeg 4x10 cab, MTD Kingston 5-string. Current Gear: Ibanez Ergodyne 4-string, Ibanez 10W practice amp, Q-Tron (vintage). Styles: Jazz, Funk, Rock, Bluegrass, Country. I live in rural Nevada, so fellow musicians are limited. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how you would approach this scenario, given the details that I have listed above. Thanks,

2. Better do it before you start feeling resentment towards your family & job... Look on Craig's List/pawn shops (must be joyous in Nevada)... it feels like you're only lookin' to get back in, not arena rock... but, ROCK ON, DUDE!

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Much the same as I had done. Welcome back :)

For me, I started slow on the equipment side ( which it looks like you are doing ) And began to make a habit of putting in a couple hours an evening ( certainly not every evening) at first, trying to play along to songs that I had played when I gigged. I have a PC with a very nice sound solution in my music/game/library/ "me time" room so It's easy to find things on YouTube and jam along. It took next to no time to fully realize I was in relearning mode and decided right then I would apply a regime, a method, if you will, to my rebirth as a musician. I found Scott Devine ( there are many others but I found his informative and in nicely detailed small doses - and free :) ) online and used his lessons to keep me focused. At this point, say, 6 years later, I am not a better player, perhaps, than when I was gigging, but I am a more informed player, which suits my age fine :) Sadly my gear now far outstrips my ability. Be warned! G.A.S. is real.