1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting back to bass, trying to decide on a cab for slap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass-er, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bass-er

bass-er

Aug 7, 2017
    I haven't played in 17 years or so, just bought a couple head units, a gk backline600 and a new carvin bx700. All I can say is, things have really changed the past 15 years! I'm looking at a couple of cabs and was hoping to get some guidance. I'm not in a band, I may decide to jam later on, but really just playing for the enjoyment of it. I've got access to purchase an avatar sb112 and an epifani t210. They are both a couple hundred a piece, and I was wondering if the avatar would still work ok for slap style, using an ibanez sb600 4 stringer right now.

2. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    you should look at a Phil Jones Bass C8 cabinet

3. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    and if the PJB cabs are to much. look at the Carvin BRX 10.2

Sanchan likes this.
  4. AngelsBassBall

AngelsBassBall Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anything will work for "slap". My guess is that if it's been 17 years it'll take time to get your "slap" up to speed, giving you time to experiment with different cabs.

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I always preferred 10" speakers, especially for slap playing. That being said a mix of 10s and 12s will work just fine. You may get some better low end out of the 12s and the punchy tightness out of the 10s. A lot depends on the quality of the speakers themselves. I would pickup the epifiny, maybe wait on the avatar unless it's equipped with a really nice speaker.

6. Back in the 80's I tried every cabinet available in my large city. I chose the Hartke 410. Here's why: the aluminum cone speakers had an incredible sound on the higher snapped strings. I also felt it was easier to warm up the bright sound of the Hartkes, than to brighten up the warm sound of the paper cone speakers.

Plus, used Hartkes can now be had for a song.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. bass-er

bass-er

Aug 7, 2017
    i impulsed purchased a BRX10.2. nothing but good reviews on them. thx for the feedback

Sanchan likes this.
  8. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Just my opinion. For slap get a cab with 10's. Everything else is a concession. I'd recommend two, 8ohm 2x10 Cabs of your price range. One 4x10 would do the job but moving it is a problem. Two 4x10's even better but doubles your troubles.

9. bass-er

bass-er

Aug 7, 2017
    i went ahead and picked up the avatar sb112 as well today, it comes with a deltalite2 2512 eminence 12" woofer and a foster horn. This thing is DEEP, and super light. i was impressed with its power handling. I'll A/B it and the BRX dual 10 when it arrives in a couple weeks, i guess they are back ordered.

Sanchan likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I never slap my cabinets. I consider it abuse!! :)

11. Bruce Sahroian

Bruce Sahroian

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello;
    In the years I played nitely, I can't tell you how many amps and cabinets I have owned! Some I was glad to get rid of and a few I wish I never sold! I think it's just how creative you are with what you have! Case in point, one of my first amps (now Im dating myself) was a Standel Artists piggy back with a single JBL D-130. I could never get it to fill a room the way I wanted, so one time, I just kept the amp facing forward and turned the speaker towards the wall and the damn thing sounded really incredible!!!
    My thought is bass playing is a journey, between the basses we play and the amps we use, so just enjoy the journey and along the way I'm sure that some combination of "keepers" will make their way into your personal inventory!
    Enjoy the experiences!!!
    Bruce

12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    What kind of slap?

The Mark King rattle and ping or Larry Graham thump?

13. I think any speaker will be able to handle slap; it just depends on how loud you want to play.

14. bass-er

bass-er

Aug 7, 2017
    I'm also learning it also depends on how old the gear is. older setups might require 2x10s or 4x10s for the right punchy response, but I'm noticing with newer and better engineered cabs(and speakers) it might not be the case anymore. I'm going to keep experimenting with some newer stuff. I'm going to borrow a friends ACME B2 210 and see how that fares.

15. Bruce Sahroian

Bruce Sahroian

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello:
    My bass amp is someplace about 40 years old! I made this amp using a preamp and an AB systems power amp. The whole thing looks like a large old Fender bassman. The amp and new V amp Pro live in the upper left corner. Directly across in the right hand corner is a PAS (Professional Audio Systems) 10" speaker in a complete separate enclosure. Directly below, in another separate enclosure is a 15" PAS Speaker.
    I will admit that the first pre amp (Peavey) didn't have what it takes for reproducing "slap" bass playing but with the current up grade I'm not having any problems re-producing any sound from "tear your ears off" BRILlIANT to room shaking, thundering lows!!
    So far Im happy, but then again I don't play in a band any more, just in my garage for my dog and he doesn't appreciate it al all!!
    Bruce