Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting better feel for my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stephen S, May 20, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have a Johnson P-bass that i have been playing for about 9 months (try not to laugh) it was my first bass and they guy and they music store took advantage of my newbie-ness to the wonderful world of bass,, now i dont know what to change on my bass to give it a better sound so i came to ask the wonderful musicians of talk bass so lets talk bass....... now when i play my bass my second and 4th string sound like they cath a fret and give off a buzz now i figure common sense it is catching a fret because it is too low... wrong ... i raised it up and once it got as high as possible it started catching my 1st fret and it was impossible for be to play song without my fingers dieing on my. the only thing i can come up with is new strings. maybe if i get new strings maybe something more (for lack of a better term) bendy or bendable im buying a new 5 string soon and i would like to get this johnson in working order to sell to one of the kids on my block HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I would either get it professionally set up (costs around $30 usually) and might look into getting a better instrument. If you really do like playing bass, you will find that Johnson very frustrating sooner than later, and a nice bass will be alot easier to get better on.

Dave

3. try a good home setup. its something you have to learn. go to fenders site,...i think its www.mrgearhead.com and go to a setup link. a good setup can make all the difference.