1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting Better

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Unspoken511, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Unspoken511

Unspoken511

Jan 22, 2012
    This question is reall for the pros out there, but anyone can chime in. What are some things that should and could be expected of you if I want to play bass professionally? What should I learn and practice, what should I stop doing, what habits should I form or break? What should I be doing now to get better?

2. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    The term professional bassist is very vague. You can be a "pro bassist"
    playing only roots in a punk band. You need to be more spefic on what you mean by professional bassist.

3. This is true

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This is an endlessly open question, and depends on definitions and expectations of what you want to do. In general, I'd say a strong knowledge of how songs work, knowing how to be an accompanist, being able to read music, a consistently great sound, a contemporary image, reliability, social skills, being able to sing, and little to no ego are steps in the right direction. A wide skill set connected to teaching, online media and music production help as well, as it's not easy to just play an instrument and do nothing else to earn a sustained living.

All that said, there are players out there who lack almost all those qualities who still make a living in music.

None of the guys I know who play professionally have Wooten chops, and aren't really using the gear that is routinely championed on TB. There is also a considerable luck factor involved, because for every established guy who plays professionally in a given city, there's at least a dozen guys who could easily step in with the same skill set.

5. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    I second with 20db's answer but if you have the top part down it can make the whole making a living a little easier (specially the social part). I find it's easier to get gig's by getting to know people musically and if you have the chops to reinforce your your name that helps as well. Also get into the habit of getting to know people that play something other than the bass. I had that problem where I would really mingle with other bass players (which can help for substitution reasons) but I find that bass player tend to over do it sometime, which I'm also guilty of.