Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting boxes to ship bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Just curious what you guys do when you need to ship a bass, ie, where you get the materials. I'm guessing I just can't show up at the local post office and they'll have a box that will fit.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Go to a music store and ask for one, see if the have a cardboard dumpster.

3. The places that Ive shipped had boxes in that size. I dont know if all f them do though. Take it by and show them and ask if they do.

Dave

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Bike shop. My local one is used to seeing me rummage through their boxes.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Some places like the UPS Store or Fedex Kinkos might have ones that big. You may have to make a box by putting two together that are the right width but wrong length.

Buying a new bass and then using the box from that always worked for me too :)

6. look in the yellow pages under boxes or cardboard box mfg.

I have two places close by that have an in-store supply...sometimes blems that can be had cheap. Get one approx. the size, and fill the void with bubble wrap or packing peanuts.

7. Those are hybrid bass in there, but I'm sure a regular bass would work also..

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Well, when I sold my last two basses, they were shipped differently.

The first bass didn't sell with a hardshell case, only a gig bag. So I made a box out of wood and shipped it that way. I put the bass in it, put bubble wrap all inside and then screwed the top section on. I guess it got there okay.

[​IMG]

The second one had a hardshell case, so I used cardboard.......I mean corrugated sheets and wrapped it all around it, taped it up the best I could and shipped it that way. I also wrapped up the stand that went with it in bubble wrap and boxed that up the best I could.

[​IMG]

Make due with whatever you think will work well, and with what you have access too.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    FRRRRAAAGIIIILEEEE....must be Italian :)

I know I'd be really surprised if a wooden box showed up to my house. I'd think you were shipping me a corpse instead of a bass Joe :)

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    [​IMG]

:cool:

Well, I did sell the bass. So it's dead to me. :(