1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting complicated.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rion, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    Somethings I understand, somethings I don't, yet.

Starting with one question.

Is it possible to wire rickenbacker pickups in series ?

about a year ago I modded my Jack & Danny Jazz bass with two Rickenbacker pickups and dual output (mono-mono/ ''stereo'').

Me and my brother always had some ideas for the bass and recently thought it would be kinda cool to have some kind of

''pulsing killswitch'' ,aka, a device that cuts the signal in pulses.

After some time we decided to get two of these pulsing devices (that we made ourselves), one for each pickup,

making a very cool effect. we got accually to the point where we had made them, but soon realized that there

was some problems with it and the project was put on hold. As we had this pause, I thought about our idea and kinda

dimmed it down: only one pulser and a switching between the pickups running series or parallel, like a Jaguar Deluxe.

The bass has switches for many things and it is getting really complicated for me to understand really what I am doing.

That's how I role. Anyway, I am going to make a crudely made paint picture of the wiring so far.

As you can see, the image only shows the ''hot'' wiring from the two pickups.

So .... questions.

Did you understand anything of what I tried to explain, in that case, what do you think ?

Is my idea possible ?

Do you have any suggestion for something cool to put in my guitar ? :)

Attached Files:

2. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Yes, but what do you want to get out of it?

What sort of devices are these? solid state timer that intermittently shorts to(or breaks) ground? Or something more elegant that volumes up and down?

So you want an automatic switching mechanism that alternates between series and parallel topologies? That seems reasonable. Do you want a hard cut between the two or a gradual phasing between the two?

Maybe... you tell me...

I don't know...

A sticker?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's called "tremolo." You can buy a tremolo pedal dirt cheap and not have to deal with all that.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UT300-Tremolo-Classic-Effects/dp/B005DLNAFS

4. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    I know, but this cost about 5 bucks and really was just fun to use as something cool in my bass

5. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I'm w/ Rion here. I COULD go buy something, but that isn't as much fun as trying(and, for me, generally failing a few times) to do it yourself.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Clearly I like the DIY rout, since I built my own basses and pickups. And effects too.

But your time is worth something too, and this seems redundant.

7. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    I have too much time. I'm 15. What does a normal 15 year old guy do ? I work (since it's summer) till 17.00 or 18.00 and then do this, make stuff (that and sit at the computer for hours).

I like to make stuff that I can barely understand how works.

I have the idea, but not the knowledge is basically what I'm saying.