Getting Concentric Pots to stop turning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Nov 5, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I have a bass with concentric pots. The outermost pots spin in an endless fashion rather than stopping at the min and max settings. They still work fine, they just dont stop spinning if you keep turning them in one direction.

I had this same problem on the same exact model bass and it was fixed without changing the pots. I am wondering how I can fix the pots on this current bass myself. Anyone have experience with this?

2. perhaps the knob is just spinning on the shaft after it hits the stops. If they're split-shaft pots, try taking a flat-tipped screwdriver and ever so gently bending the side outward just a tiny, tiny bit until the knob fits tight. Maybe the knob is stripped out to some degree. If they're solid-shaft pots, try tightening down the set screw on the knob. That solved my problem, but again, there's a very slim chance that the shaft or screw are somewhat stripped and are of no use. If this is the case, replace whatever is worn out.
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If the knobs are on tight, your pot is broken. I can't think of any conceivable way to repair it without replacing the pot.

It works but it does not stop means it does not work. It's like saying your car goes and turns, but does not stop, so it works fine...