Getting "DOINK" out...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I use FBass, Musicman, and Warwick basses........... Some amps have this trait and some don't. My experience is an amp that sounds great in a store or even in the living room sounds too doinky when cranked up at stage volume. The Eden was worst and my Sunn 2000s is the least offensive. Now sometimes I will pur a SansAmp BDDI in the blend and it helps to reduce it, nut then I loose definition...... Should I be using a Para EQ somewhere?? The funny thing is that it seems to not be an issue toward the end of the night. This happened with a vintage SVT, Mesa 400+, Eden, Trace and Bassman 135... BUT NOT with an Acoustic 370, Sunn 2000S, and SOME with a V-4.
    IS it just tone stack? My Bass?? High volume??:confused:
  2. It sounds like a combination of phase cancellation at high volume interacting with each amp's EQ. I noticed that the louder amps all did it more. I'd say it's because they were 'fighting' their own reflected sound from room walls or monitors.

You said it was worst with the Eden; they have a large low-mid bump. Most monitors can reproduce low mids well and they would also be easily reflected back from a wall. It becomes less noticeable the longer you play because your brain begins to compensate for the room's acoustics and acts as a psychoacoustic filter for the relections.

It's like when you go into a dance club with a cheap PA and at first, the bass feels disorienting like its coming from all around you, but the longer you stay, the more cohesive and "better" the sound becomes. Rule of thumb: most "doink" or "thud" sound problems are phase issues.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can you go into a bit more detaion about the Doink? I'm having trouble hearing it in my head.

Seems to me that tunes and tube emulation help, suggesting that the doink could be a little bit too much midrange. Para EQ's are great if you know what frequencies you're trying to isolate but I'd just be using the graphic on your amp for now (assuming it has one), just to get a better idea of which frequencies could be causeing the problem. Midrange can be anywhere from 150Hz to 4k depending on who you ask, so you have got quite a bit of experimentation ahead of you.

Be wary of "End of the night" diagnosis. People talk about voice coils heating up but the truth is much simpler - You're ears are trashed by this stage so they're not as reliable.
  4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thanks Psycho, I suspected it to be something like that. I just came back from a club that we play at. The bass player had a Jazz bass through an Eden WT300 and a Fender 1-15 cab. The band was at a good level that I did not need ear protection (I went back to plain cotton). His bass sound was so good. I was jealous. I seem to be stuck with a hard hitting drummer that makes it very dificult for me to play at the comfort level I would like to. I have a real good gig with three projects going on. The drummer is the leader of all, has the practice place, recording studio, band bus, booking, etc. So quitting or changing drummers is not in the cards. PETEBASS,...What I mean by doink is that group of frequencies that you can't EQ out easy without losing definition. Maybe the crowd absorbs some of them, acting like a natural EQ.