Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting effects to sound better

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_player_cd, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to make effects sound better. Like if you have a distortion how to make it scream and very metal like. I have a big muff with a morley PWB and those put together sound pretty good but the morley is really loud and doesnt bring out the screaming distortion wah like I'd hoped for. Does anyone know how to do that? Would it help if I overdrived my amp? Or just turn the volume up? I heard someone talking about a way to make dist. on a clean amp with the gain and treble.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's no big "secret" with effects. They have knobs. Turn them and use your ears :cool:

It's impossible (for me anyway) to tell from your post what it is you are looking for. What is "screaming" distortion :confused:

A Big Muff can generate plenty of distortion, in fact you may be trying to get TOO MUCH. The more distortion you have the harder it is to control and get a good sound.

Are you running the bass into the Big Muff and then into the wah or the other way around? You'll get very different sounds if you change the order.

3. there actually is ;)

some effects sound better when put in FX-loop, some sound better when put in front of the preamp..

My personal prefs are like this :

Overdrive - fx-loop
    Wah - between bass and amp
    Chorus - between bass and amp
    Limiter - fx-loop
    Compressor - fx-loop
    bass_synth - between bass and amp
    octaver - between bass and amp
    envelope filter - fx-loop

and the order in which you place the pedals make huge difference in soundquality.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

As mentioned before, placement of effects are really important. To get a screaming distortion sound usually means putting a compressor just before the distortion pedal. Also gain staging and eq have lots to do with the quality of the effected sound. The best rigs have eq before and after the distortion pedal. Use the eq before the distortion to boost frequencies that you want to distort more than others, and the one after to make-up for loses from the pervious eq and distortion sound, like add the bottom back in.

5. Isn't this a good and quick way to toast your -10db level fx boxes with a +4db signal? any box i've ever stuck in my loop fried...I save the loop for the higher end stuff like my DBX 120XP or BBE.
    Try a BBE Sonic Maximizer for a marked improvement in sound quality. A BBE "lifts the blanket" off your tone so to speak. It works wonders for FX boxes specifically.

6. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I'm using the distortion in front of the wah, to bring it out more. I've also tryed using the dist. and wah through the fx loop instead directly from my bass to amp. I'll try switching them around. I was thinking of buying a bbe sonic maximizer to get the sound better, but they looked expensive and didnt know if it was worth it. Thanks for the advice.