1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting Electrocuted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. When I was about 8 years old, my family moved to Orangeburg, North Carolina to live on a 140 acre "farm." It had over 140 cows, huge hay barn, the house was about 60 years old with no insulation *when the wind blew you could feel it inside the house), and there was another house on the property well over 60 years old. Anyways, as soon as we get there, the first thing me, my older brother and sister see are the cows. "Oooooooh cows" I gush, and immediately run over, resting my hands on the fence. As soon as I grab the fence I am met with what feels like a million bubbles swirling inside my body, and I start screaming bloody murder. I run to my mommy and tell her what happens and my dad goes "Umm, yeah I forgot to tell you guys thats an electric fence." My mom starts bitching my dad out "MITCH, HOW DO YOU NOT REMEMBER?!?..." My brother got electrocuted too but he thought it was funny.

    Now that I look back on it it's hilarious, and if given the chance I would probably grab that fence again. :p

    Tell your stories!
  2. Vince S.

    Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

    Jan 24, 2003
    I shocked myself with a stun-gun once, that hurt pretty badly.

  3. Got one better...

    ...when I was about 9-10, I was out walking around a friend's property, very wooded, but fenced in...apparantly they had run a simple single-wire electric fence setup to keep their dogs from running through the fence...well, the underbrush had grown up pretty thick along one area of the fence, there was a small tree that had grown right against the wire...

    ...out in the woods, a boy, no one around, when ya gotta pee, ya gotta pee....any tree looks as good as any other...


    ...yes, I peed on the tree, and the wire at the same time...and y'know, physics IS fun kids....


    Even 30 years later, I make SURE I check for anything resembling a bare wire when I water a tree in the woods...

  4. Hahahaha man that SUCKS a lot, to say the least.

    I bet you were floppin around like a fish! :p
  5. kserg


    Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  6. Mike Money

    Mike Money In Memoriam

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I was installing a new fan clutch last week...

    and I set my wrench down, not watching where i put it... and i ended up putting it down with an end on the + and an end on the - on the battery.

    SPARKS! yay.

    i wasnt holding it when it sparked.
  7. Nick man

    Nick man

    Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive been shocked in the arm by one of those stun gun things. It wasnt so bad.
  8. Only


    Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've been hit with 110 current about ten times doing various wiring jobs or fixing broken stuff. And 220 once working on an air conditioner. And I've been Tasered twice and hit with a stungun once.

    The only one that bothered me was the 220 volt current. I must have some sort of weird affinity for electricity.
  9. Mike N

    Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    It's not the voltage that kills, it's the amperage. It only takes 100 milliamps (which is .1 amp) to kill.

    I've been nailed several times by a 40,000 volt MSD "Blaster" coil (found on racecars) and lived to tell the tale. Reason is they put out very little amperage.
  10. Petary791


    Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I electrocute myself on my bass strings a lot-- does that count? I also have stepped on some cords barefooted and shocked myself, and I've plugged/unplugged some stuff the wrong way a couple times.
  11. kserg


    Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I was playing barefoot on stone floor ones... boy was that fun...
  12. I picked up a 5000 volt power line once.... luckily it was with a "hot stick", designed for that, during a class on handling down power lines. Say a power line falls on somebody, shows you how to get it off safely.

    Even so, I made sure someone else demonstrated it first... Mama didn't raise me to be no burnt toast....

  13. srxplayer


    May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I love this thread.

    About a year ago I was cleaning up some old wires sticking out of wall socket and I accidently touched the scewdriver tip to a bare wire and the metal box. " HOLY CRAP!!!! " :eek: instant mig welder, big sparks, a big jolt to my left arm and I was standing there with a screw driver that had the blade turned into a blob of metal.

    Electricity scares me... :bag:
  14. Brad Barker

    Brad Barker

    Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

    ...man, yesterday was my first day doing research for a professor (physics--nano stuff).

    fortunately, i haven't injured myself and plan on keeping it this way.

    (i'll just get this out of the way right now, gard: my work doesn't involve quarter-inch guitar cords. :smug: )

    anyway, as i was about to plug something into the wrong socket (you had to have seen that coming! :p ), i got a lecture about electrical safety.

    apparently, some guy electrocuted himself with just 1.5V probes. (he inserted them into his body to measure the impedance of...himself. :scowl: )

    ...so...be careful.

    and let gard be an example: don't whizz on the electric fence.

    *BZZT* (the sound of gard's... fleshy conductor)
  15. embellisher

    embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

  16. So, they finally approved that restraint order and you're not allowed within 100 yards of a guitar cable?


    Wise words: Look before you pee.

    (Actually when I posted that story, my first thought was "Finally, Brad will have something to make fun of me about." :D )

  17. Wow.....ouch!

    I remember reading a story a long time ago about a bloke in London (I seem to remember) who had been out on the town with the lads for a few beers. Apparently he took a short cut across a railway line and need to pee. So, as nothing was coming he popped out his old fella and pee'd away. Well, in Scotland (where I live) trains pick up their power from and overhead cable, but a lot of the train lines in the London area use a third rail......poor sod got killed! :eek:
  18. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    An electric fence for cattle, is pretty strong stuff.

    I had a good buddy who got electrocuted trying to discharge the caps in his tube amp, with a screwdriver.

    He got thrown across the room, and hit his head on the exact corner of an oak filing cabinet.

    He's no longer with us. And it wasn't a pretty sight when we found him, a couple of days after the fact.

    "Safety first". :eyebrow:
  19. When I was 10 I put a bowl of ravioli in the microwave, the bowl had a metal rim...........I didnt know what would happen. Well the microwave had this badass lightning bolt in it and I was facinated watching it. Well when it finished and I took the bowl out, I grabbed it and PZZZZZZZZZT!!!!!!!!!!! It was fun!
  20. I was out camping with some friends of mine and at the time we were all 8-12 and we decided to make a bear trap by digging a hole and sharping some tree branches and cover it with leaves. after that venture went off with out a hitch we started riding out bikes and my friends brother rode his bike into the "bear" trap and popped his tire and ruined the weekend for all of us.

Share This Page