getting endorsed

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kingbrutis, May 10, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    How have you guys gone about getting endorsed? I know different companys have thier own guidlines, but is there a certin way to go about? Lets say I love the bass I play now, and the same company makes one I want. What would be the best way to go about it? Like my little band that plays shows every weekend, but mostly plays in the Phoenix area. We are growing fans like crazy. We havn't toured yet, a company like Ampeg will just laugh. I would imagine a smaller company might be easier to get. Would I just send a press kit along with live shots on stage playing thier gear? Thanks for the advice. Joe
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brutis -

Well, a manufacturer sees an endorser as a form of advertisement. How do you get endorsed? Show the manufacturer that you will give them good exposure, and in a forum that will help to sell their product.

Honest answer: Playing in a bar ever weekend to a bunch of drunks that don't have a CLUE about the equipment you use is NOT going to be attractive to a company looking at you as an endoreser. On the other hand, if you have a CD released with national distribution, have a tune in the Billboard charts (any of them...), have a video in rotation at one of the video stations, and are playing to 5000+ seat arenas (the Enormodome....) regularly while chatting with other top-of-the-heap players about how cool your new Positronix DT-498q Hawaiian Nose Flute Nostril Hair Suppressor has really made a world of difference in your tone, then you might be a better investment for the manufacturer.

I've been an endorser in the past (, and am now deciding who gets endorsement deals for a different company. So, I've been on both sides of the "endorsement" fence.

...hope this helps
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Great answer, Gard. Also, and this is based on luck, sometimes companies will ask you. It happened to me 3 times. However, some of the things Gard mentioned were in play at the time. The best advice I could give you is to build a RELATIONSHIP with the company before you start asking for stuff. That goes a loooooong way.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC

Building a relationship is WAY important. And yes, sometimes a luthier or company just starting out would need the exposure more. However the opposite can also be true. A bigger company with a cool artist rep can sometimes be easier because one bass or one amp not as big a deal to them as it is to someone who makes 20 basses a year. Whichever side of the coin it is. though, you have to be able to demonstrate that there will be a benefit to the people who are hooking you up. ie. high profile gigs, constant touring, alot of records in circulation, mucho interviews. My contract with d'addario simply said that I had to thank them in liner notes, could only use their strings and that I would wear one of their tshirts once in a while They also wanted product feedback from the road.
  5. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Great info above, so I'll just add my $.02. This is a business relationship between you and the company. They get thousands of inquiries from people just like you. You have to show them how you can benefit their company. If you are just after free gear don't waste their time or yours. But if you like the equipment and want to promote the company then have at it. The few deals I have took months to build and I made sure that they understood that I wasn't looking for free gear but wanted to build a relationship with them to help them promote their products while they in turn helped me with my career in whatever way they could.

I don't get any free gear from the companies I work with but I do get equipment at a substantial discount. They also give me swag to hand out when I'm at a gig or doing a clinic or anytime I might be in front of the public. I really appreciate what the companies have done for me and let them know it anytime I'm in front of someone or have a chance to recognize them. Just my opinion, take what you want out of it.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Every perk I have ever received, management has arranged for. I couldn't perceive myself calling up a manufacturer and saying "hey . . . gimme gimme."
  7. It started for me when I called Gallien-Krueger to get a speakon cable. I asked to speak to artist realations and talked to Dan about my gear setup, what I was going to change about my gear setup, and the types of gigs that I played.

I asked him if I met the qualifiactions for an endorsement and he told me to send him a press kit. I sent a pack and called him in regards to make sure he had gotten it. I few minutes later, we were dicussing my artist agreement.

Im not in a signed band, but I do a hefty ammount of traveling in two bands. My road dates and audience were probably what got me my endorsement.

I love GK gear, but Im also very pleased at how Ive been treated by Dan and Gene at GK. They make sure that if theres a need, its met. They are great guys. Im proud to have a relationship with them.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  9. I've seen bands that are endorsed by alcohol companies, the band that I play in has at least 4 songs that say something about Bacardi, we also made a fictional charictar in a song named Ron Bacardi, We drink Bacardi, and the drunks we play for probably do to. We also talk alot about Phillie's Blunts Question is: Is it possible that we could start Drinking & smoking for free? I know it sounds self-destructive but it is more-so when we have to pay for it.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've noticed this trend recently too. Its become more often to go to a show (around here anyway) and see at least one band stop in the middle of the set and tell everyone to "drink a shot of XXX' while reps (usually scantily clad females) of said company are passing out samples.
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, those deals vary I am sure......regardless of sponsors, my bands drinks are always comped to us every place we play anyhow. My band is sponsored by Budweiser, honestly the biggest thing we get out of it is the ability to tell clubs when we are booking that we are sponsored by Bud, and will be giving out free Bud swag all night. That goes a long ways towards getting good gigs, a great booking tool. They help us out in a couple different ways, and we try to promote them as well as we can to keep them happy. Plus we're all big fans of their work :)
  12. Hey I'd pass up free drinks for a better venue, and more chances at playing the better venues. So Tim how did you guys come around to getting bud as a sponser. I know for a fact our singer would wear Bacardi shirts everyday if he could get 'em in different colors & for free. Even more so if we could get better shows. Personally I'd wear 'em more like under a unbuttoned long sleeve shirt got too much style to just Rock a Tee. But I'd let the brand name show.
  13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well honestly, approaching it as "getting stuff free" is going to get you nowhere fast. Not really sure what to tell you, go to your local distributor with a press pack like I did and see if they are willing to help you out any. I don't even think bacardi does any kind of music marketing, but I could be wrong. I am sure a lot of companies don't mind helping people out when they can, but a business of any type is looking out for number one first and foremost. If you can't show them you have something to offer THEM, it wont be worth wasting their time on, and they wont. Don't make requests for free stuff, let them make the offer if they are interested.

PS, it sounds like you assumed by my statement that we "play for drinks". We get paid fairly, and the drinks are free because they take care of us. I'd never go gig for free beer ;)
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Ask at bars for the contact info for the regional baracdi rep. Put together a press kit and promo the same as you would for any other buisness deal and drop them a line.
  15. I'll work on the hole press kit thing. I guess it would be a good idea to gear it toward Bacadi, say a CD w/the songs that say Bacardi. I'm not sure exactly what a good press kit has, prob a few B&W glossys pics of the band, a write up on the philosphy that is Tribalistic Dayze, and that CD I mentioned? If I need to add anything else just let me know.
  16. call yourselves punks... you sellouts!! :D :D