1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting feedback on your basslines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slendersunfish3, Aug 19, 2007.

1. slendersunfish3

slendersunfish3

Jun 28, 2007
    Ive just made the jump from learning a few covers to rushing in to writing some original lines for my band.
    When i listen back to our recordings i know i can make improvements- in all areas, but could really do with some constructive criticism.

Whats the best way to go about this ?

Other band members tend to be under critical, A teacher is one opinion, maybe online ?

If anyone has any experiences in how they have recieved feedback on thier lines id be interested to know.

2. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    Perhpas post some recordings on here and see what people say

3. slendersunfish3

slendersunfish3

Jun 28, 2007
    O.k Would realy appreciate someone taking some time to listen critically !
    myspace.com/theinfrared4

4. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    i like the fuzz? tone you got on broken

what were you using there?

they seem fine for your music as far as i can tell, dont try to get too flashy or break away, as you are a part of a sound. just get your timing perfect and throw a few fills in where applicable

5. tswd

tswd

Jun 20, 2007
    I thought your lines fit fine with the music. There's enough other instruments in the band that you don't need to be adding any extra melodies to the songs. So, your job is to make the music sound full and give it a sense of motion. I think you did both of those quite well.

The criteria I use for evaluating my bass lines is whether the bass sticks out in the song or not. If it does, something's wrong. The bass should add support to the rest of the band, not overpower it.

It's a little different if you're in a smaller band, say only three members. Then the bass may need to add more counter melody as well as the normal stuff.

6. slendersunfish3

slendersunfish3

Jun 28, 2007
    Many thanks people ,all comments welcome

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I only listened to Broken, it's not really my music... However, I think your bass line fitted that song very well, no need to change anything there.

I would hesitate to use tswd's way of evaluating bass lines, at least as general method. I listen to whether the bassline grooves and how well it fits the song. I try to be as inventive as possible though. I really like to hear music that features a groovy bass line that really stands out while fitting the song perfectly. Sometimes it means only playing root 8ths, sometimes it means something way more advanced.

8. Pattycakes31

Pattycakes31

Aug 21, 2007
    Fairfax, Va
    I like it! Props man.