Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting fieldy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by retitled, Oct 3, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    how would i go about getting his tone?

iv tried dropping the full step and droping all the bass but no luck..

does anybody know the settings? i play an ibanes sr405 if that helps

2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    scoop your eq - no mids.
    get rid of all your mids, and crank your highs and lows (an extreme V shape if you have graphic eq - if you don't maybe you should look into that).
    i also think i remember reading that he uses both a sub and a horn (which once again goes along with the whole no mids thing).
    but really, why would you want to sound like fieldy (sorry, just playing)?

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Don't do it Jimmy!!!!!!

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Scooping your mids will lose all presence. Fieldy's tone is awful, why would you want to copy that? Make your own sound, and please, please make it sound better than Fieldy's...uh..."lines" if you can even call them that. If you really want his tone, turn your mids to 9 o'clock, and your bass and treble to about 3 o'clock.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i like its percussive nature... sometimes when i jsut want to sound violant instead of meladic i try to get fieldy..

its a very nice tone for what its used for.. it has a nice crunch to it..

6. My AIM name: Equalize No Mids

Thats how you get his tone.
    (Although my tone is NOTHING at all like Fieldy's, Although I dont think his sucks, its not for everyone)

7. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    fieldy uses nylon strings , which makes it easier to slap. I personally dont think the guy is as talented as everyone makes him out to be.

8. correct me if im wrong but wouldnt nylon strings get rid of that clicky metallic sound that features prominantly (if not completely) in feildy's tone?

Scoop mids, downtune the bass for loose strings, and smash the strings with your fingers.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Forgive me if i'm wrong, but given that an electric bass works on magnetic pickups, wouldn't nylon strings produce exactly zero amplifiable sound.

10. Haha....you beat me to it.

If I remember correctly though, he does use thin strings even though he detunes....it gives it that loose, flappy sound he gets.

11. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Some strings have nylon wrappings like Rotosound TruBass, but the core of the string is still metal. From the small amount of experience I had playing them though, you would have a very difficult time getting any kind of percussive "clank" out of those!

On a side note, are all acoustic guitar pickups piezo or do they use a different type of non-magnetic based amplification? I'm just curious as many acoustic guitars use nylon strings.

12. Who makes him out to be? Not round here they don't!

13. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Nylon strings would not only make it impossible to slap, but wouldn't be recognized by the pickups. Fieldy probably uses real heavy strings, since he detunes. He's awful though. :rolleyes:

14. DONT TURN THIS INTO A FIELDY BASHING THREAD

Listen to the Korn cd's prior to Follow the Leader then make your judgements. He's had a fare share of good/catchy lines.

Everything after Life Is Peachy is crap, They started recording digitally there after, and they sounded like crap.

15. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Sorry about that, I just feel he's overrated. Sorry Tbird.

16. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im not saying hes the greatest bass player ever , im jsut saying he has a cool tone for what he does, and i would like to replicate it at times :)

17. He indeed is overrated, but mostly by non bassist's and some guitarist. Im sure most f us bassist konw he's not the best in the world, but I for one think his tone is cool, I wouldn't use it, but I like it. No need to be sorry Unchain :smug: .

18. 60hz

60hz

Oct 7, 2005
    Hold your bass completely vertically and slap using only your thumb and pinky. No popping hardly. Also a tube amp would help.

19. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Why would holding the bass vertically help whatsoever?

20. 60hz

60hz

Oct 7, 2005
    It's a lot easier to slap with your thumb and pinky that way.