1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Fired...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jp58, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    So yesterday I was 15 minutes late to work because I went to the guitar store and ordered a new bass. Today I walked into work and was immediately sent home, possibly canned. I've worked there 6 months and haven't missed a day. Somehow I fail to see how I'm so irresponsible, have an utter lack of responsibility, and how I'm completely incapable of being counted on. I also fail to see how I deserved the 15 minute @** chewing I got.

Moral of the story, never try to get new gear before you go to work. So now I've got $500 worth the equipment ordered and potentially lost my way for paying for it. So I was in an awesome mood all day.

2. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    what kind of job is it?

3. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Pizza shop. I'm also one of three people that work there that can do everything, the other 2 are the owner and night manager. Its a local chain (theres 5 of them) and we only have 10 people that work at mine. I was supposed to work on Friday so I'm going to go in when I was supposed to and if they send me home I'll just take my paycheck and start the search for a new job.

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    They shouldnt fire you for being 15 minutes late. Hope it all works out. speaking of work that is where I am right now getting paid and surfing the net. :bag:

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Obviously it doesn't help now, but two things to bear in mind for future employment:

1. No matter how good you are, you are always replaceable.

2. If you arrive on time for work, you are 15 minutes late. Always get to work 15 minutes before you are due to start your shift.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    To be honest with,...a 15 minute tardy with in the first 6 months is kind of hard to overlook and your right,...on your way to work is not the appropriate time to be buying gear.

I don't know your work situation,...but try and see management's point of view. If they've had problems with chronically tardy or no call no shows in the past, they are going to take a hard stance against that with their present employees.

Doesn't sound like you are fired,...they are just making a statement. Remember that for a lot of old schoolers,...10 minutes early is on time,...on time is late and 10 minutes late is fired.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Well its a first offense and in my defense I'm always early. He made a point to use me as an example a week before now about being the only one there thats ever on time. As for being replaceable, so is my place of employment. The guy that owns it is constantly taking advantage of his employees and as of now, he is as replaceable to me as I am to him. And considering I'm one of two people that haven't quit or been fired since I've been there, 6 months is a solid length of time.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't really need the pointers, it was more to vent about how he can justify one late day as means of firing me, especially considering the turnover rate.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    That's what I figured. It's the same everywhere in the food service industry.

I have that same attitude and with experience in the food service industry another job is usually around the corner. I went from working for a hot head who acted like people were replaceable to making him regret having to replace me. I did the work of 3 people in that place (it was a bakery so I ran the Mixers, Shaped Bread, Ran the Ovens, gathered orders [anywhere between 3 and 600 dollars worth of bread and pastries a day] made up the invoices of those orders and delivered those orders in my personal vehicle for a few cents over Min. Wage). Honestly I couldn't handle that heavy of a workload. I nearly nodded off and ran my car off the road on the way to a delivery. Enough was enough. I gave my two weeks notice,...worked it and near as I can tell,...they still haven't found anyone to replace me (hmmm I wonder why). I've already started working in a much more laid back environment.

I'm in the same boat,...It's not an entitlement thing, I just hate the attitude that employers have that people are replaceable. Sure there are a ton of people looking for work but It costs more for that bakery owner to train someone at minimum wage than it would have been to show me a little appreciation or take some of the weight off of my shoulders.

9. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Well I'm the only person that works other than him on Saturdays. I work a double shift and do everything short of the schedule and ordering supplies. Including deliveries with no commission/delivery fee in my car as well (which Pizza Hut offered me, but they deliver in the ghetto). I do most of the prep work for the week on Saturday mornings too, and I'm one of two people that can do all of the prep work.

I dunno really how many people's jobs I do there, but its certainly more than one. I'm also the first person called to replace someone he's sent home for the day or someone thats called in or quit.

I've already talked to other employers in the area, but I'm pretty sure he's going to leave a bad spot on my near perfect resume.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I love it when people do this.

You were late for no good reason, other than poor planning. You should have expected the reaction you received. Good luck with your next job.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yup. They don't want advice, they just wanna use this place as a blog.

12. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    For 15 minutes? People that work there have gotten by with being late 15 minutes because they had to get mt. dew at a gas station, or because they smoked a blunt in their car before clocking in. I'm venting because I was the example, and because other than this, I've been nothing short of a model employee. Thats the reason he gave me the position in the first place...

He was the manager at the only other job I had before this one, which I held for 18 months with 1 absence for my aunt getting hit by a drunk driver. I hardly think being late once in 2 years constitutes a dismissal.

13. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Actually if the two of you finished the op, I was giving advice at the bottom so others don't repeat my mistake...

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm gonna guess that your answer lies somewhere between the words above. Most people I know who think they're a model employee are missing a great deal when it comes to self evaluation. The idea that you think nothing of going to purchase gear on your way to work without giving yourself more than ample time to do so tells a bit in itself.

I also agree with the advice you got - and spit right out. if I'm on time for work I consider myself late. I actually aim for 1/2 hour early. Usually get there 20 minutes before I'm supposed to.

15. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Please see here:

I believe I've been more than fair with my evaluation.

16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

I did. That wasn't advice as if you WERE responsible, you would be going to work and not writing checks you may not now be able to cash. Most people can make that distinction. Anyway, sorry to start a pissing match, not my intent, really, and I hope you're still employed.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Then I have to guess your boss doesn't like you and was just waiting for the first opportunity to do this.

I too hope you find another job soon, or that you still actually have this one. If all you say is accurate you may very well be able to get the guy to reconsider.

18. You know, the mild anxiety attack that woke me at 3am is waning but this thread is making it difficult to go back to bed. :D
    OP, you're[well]under 25, right?

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm 20 and a full-time college student and employee.

20. This.