Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting first bass, need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acidophilus, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Acidophilus

Acidophilus

Jul 19, 2004
    Miami
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Acidophilus

Acidophilus

Jul 19, 2004
    Miami
    Yes, I'll probably stick to the P-Bass. Thanks much.

4. Squires are good starter basses; I've seen them advertised as starter basses, but then again it varies for everyone. Fender-like basses are good to start with as they have a pretty good action and a thin neck.

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The Fender "starter" basses are a good choice, cause later on you can mod the heck out of it.

My first bass was a Squier Bullet Bass from the mid 80's.
    Still have it, only thing original is the body, pickguard and tuners.

I still love this bass. I have some nice basses, but I still love playing that old Squier bass.

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I recommend scraping up an extra $200 and getting a MIM Fender. Mojo is important. :)

Scott

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I only play Fender but for a beginner bass you cant beat a GSR 200 Ibanez bass,I had one as my first bass and when i was an emplyee of G.C. I always recommended them to a beginner bassist or a guitar player in transistion.
    For the money the quality is un-matched,and the look is very "HIP" for the socially materialistic,they up-graded the elec. to active bass boost style pick-ups ,(like the higher end models)and the neck is fast thin for smaller hands or beginners learning to stretch,coupled with good frett work is a good buy all the way.
    Now if you were to buy a higher end bass then a Fender bass is the way to go,but the entry level affinity p-bass is a bust,you could go with the P/J bass standard model which is an up-grade from the affinity series(there are 2 types of fender squiers,affinity and standard's,standard being the better of the 2)they employ better p-ups,3 ply p/gaurd,better hardware,and much better frett work and more stable necks,and all for like 75.00$ more.
    Or you can go used,I always say a used Cadillac is better than a brand new Kia,look around and see what you can find.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, but maybe Im biased, I started on a black Squire P. Still got it, still gets played. :bassist: