getting first bass, need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acidophilus, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Acidophilus

Jul 19, 2004
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Acidophilus

Jul 19, 2004
    Yes, I'll probably stick to the P-Bass. Thanks much.
  4. Squires are good starter basses; I've seen them advertised as starter basses, but then again it varies for everyone. Fender-like basses are good to start with as they have a pretty good action and a thin neck.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The Fender "starter" basses are a good choice, cause later on you can mod the heck out of it.

My first bass was a Squier Bullet Bass from the mid 80's.
    Still have it, only thing original is the body, pickguard and tuners.

I still love this bass. I have some nice basses, but I still love playing that old Squier bass.
  6. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    I recommend scraping up an extra $200 and getting a MIM Fender. Mojo is important. :)

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I only play Fender but for a beginner bass you cant beat a GSR 200 Ibanez bass,I had one as my first bass and when i was an emplyee of G.C. I always recommended them to a beginner bassist or a guitar player in transistion.
    For the money the quality is un-matched,and the look is very "HIP" for the socially materialistic,they up-graded the elec. to active bass boost style pick-ups ,(like the higher end models)and the neck is fast thin for smaller hands or beginners learning to stretch,coupled with good frett work is a good buy all the way.
    Now if you were to buy a higher end bass then a Fender bass is the way to go,but the entry level affinity p-bass is a bust,you could go with the P/J bass standard model which is an up-grade from the affinity series(there are 2 types of fender squiers,affinity and standard's,standard being the better of the 2)they employ better p-ups,3 ply p/gaurd,better hardware,and much better frett work and more stable necks,and all for like 75.00$ more.
    Or you can go used,I always say a used Cadillac is better than a brand new Kia,look around and see what you can find.
  8. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, but maybe Im biased, I started on a black Squire P. Still got it, still gets played. :bassist: