1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Frustrated

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lenosgood, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Just got back into playing a couple of months ago, and I can't seem to get rid of all the little unwanted noises--finger squeak on the strings, especially on the lower frets, a little fret buzz when defretting notes and general string noise in the background. I play with headphones a lot so i hear every little noise, so that doesn't help. What can i do to help me play cleaner? Turning the tone knob all the way down cuts out some of the noise, but that doesn't help my technique any. It's really starting to tick me off because I try to put i the time and it seems to not be getting any better. :help:

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Raise your action a bit?

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
  4. I've thought about putting some flats on my P bass because I love the sound of 'em, but again, that doesn't address my technique. I've tried adjusting the way I pluck and fret notes, but apparently I have no clue. I'd love to take a few lessons, as I'm sure that would help me a lot, but I can't do it right now, so I'm trying to do it myself. I want to :bassist: :D

5. Mute with your fretting hand by releasing the pressure on the string after the note. Mute with your picking hand depending on how you pick - I use my thumb - so a palm mute works for me. It's just something you have to work at our bass sustains the note - we have to deaden this somehow.

Having your bass set up will eliminate some of the problem. I use foam rubber under the strings at the bridge, that helps and gives a sound I like. Gives a stand up bass sound.

The Internet will have a lot of video on muting. Do a Google and see what you find. http://www.google.com/search?source...1T4GGHP_enUS365US365&q=muting+the+bass+guitar

Good luck.

6. Already had the bass setup, already have a little foam under the strings right at the bridge. I just suck, I guess...:rolleyes: The drunker you are, the better i sound! :p

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Softer touch, combined with nickel, or tapewounds (not stainless).

Every instrument has unwanted noise-potential. Saxophone Examples: Inhaling through mp, pad noise, sticky pads.

8. Go metal, no one will hear you anyway, just move around a lot and make faces. :bassist:

9. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    +1 LOL!

10. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    We have to learn to deal with some noises, you can't be perfectly clean. It is hard to tell without listening you playing, but there's only so much noise that you can avoid with good technique. Unless of course you want to get some high action. That could help.

11. heh I wonder how country metal would sound...:p

12. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    How much time? Once I committed to QUALITY practicing for 4-5 hours a day, I noticed a change in my technique after @ 9 months. Something I couldnt anticipate. The bass just started to feel different in my hands.. Softer, easier to control, like I was owning it. Hard to explain.
    After a few years of 4-5 hr days, I feel as though I have great control over feel and dynamics now...and all the while I thought I was just learning scales and songs.
    Time.
    Also, Play real slow while practicing. Painstakingly slow. It makes you faster faster.

13. Well, I can't put in that much time, but I try to get in at least an hour a day. Maybe it's just a slower process than I thought. :meh: