Getting G.A.S. For a 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QU!CK, Aug 10, 2005.

1. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    So here I find myself again...

The Facts:
    -I play lefty.
    -I play mostly "black gospel" (think Fred Hammond, Israel & New Breed, Kirk Franklin, etc slap stuff)
    -I "need" a 5 string

Can anyone reccomend a good 5'er? As far as price goes, I guess I would say an intermediate level bass. I'm a college kid but I work full time so most of my money goes towards the necessaties. Maybe something in the $300-600 range? :help:

I've toyed with the idea of selling my Ibanez GSR200L or Yamaha BB404L but just can't seem to part with either since I enjoy playing both so much... :meh:

Any logical/helpful responses would be greatly appreciated!

2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  3. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    A used Carvin LB75 would do nicely. They often sell in your price range, and lefty versions do come up from time to time. Check ebay. Try to find one with the P series electronics...they're better than the stock electronics, but still not quite up to the level of something aftermarket like Bartolini pickups and a high-end preamp. Saving up some cash after you buy the bass and putting in high-end pups and electronics is a worthwhile investment (I did this with my main Carvin, and it was money very well spent).

Or if you want something new, the entry level Carvin bolt-on (B5) is just about in your price range...$649 right now, no extra charge for a lefty.

Do a search on Carvin here. You'll find that they get very high marks for workmanship, playability and overall quality, with middling-to-good marks for electronics.

I've got two Carvins...the aforementioned hotrodded one, and a BB75P fretless. Great instruments, especially for the money.

Though I am GASing for a Bongo...:help:
  4. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the responses guys! Anyone else got any ideas?

5. A used Lakland Skyline 55-01.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Check out some fives to see if you like wide or narrow string spacing. If you like narrow, get a G&L Tribute or Music Man SUB new or used. If you like wide, get a used Peavey USA Millennium or a Lakland 55-01.
  7. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You're coming in at a good time to be in the market, especially compared to just 5 or 10 years ago, when it was hard to find a good quality 5 for under $1K. Things have definitely improved quality-wise in that price range, especially on foreign made stuff. Keep in mind that everything is kind of hit or miss, and you need to decide what's most comfortable for you. I'm not sure if all of these come in lefty versions, but worth a look. A few ideas to check out:

-Fender jazz basses
    -Ibanez SG/BTB
    -Schecter (seen a few at Guitar Center and been impressed with the price vs. features on these suckers)
    -The low/mid range Peavey models
    -used Lakland Skylines

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

8. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    MTD Heir/Kingston models are great 5'ers.