Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Gas for a Carvin B1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I want to replace my pre-power rack with one simple high power amp head. I don't need a ten band EQ, a channel blend control, an overdrive master control knob, an aural enhancer, a presence enricher knob, sub-octave, compressor, limiter, or anything else. It doesn't need to have any more knobs on the front than a 1964 Fender Bassman head. Except it needs to make 1000 watts into 4 ohms. The Fender Pro 800, SWR 750X, Mesa 600, Ampeg 4-Pro, etc. are loaded with {for me} useless features. I've had two re-issue SVT heads, not enough power. Had a Peavey Firebass 700 for a while, the limiter was on all the time. The Sunn {Fender} 300 farted out when turned up all the way. I was excited about the Mesa 750 but it doesn't have enough poop, only 500 watts into 4 ohms. I never imagined I would be thinking about Carvin. I'd like to hear from B1500 owners. What do you think?? And yes, I already did a search and read all the old news. Thanks.

2. Hey. I'm not quite answering your question, in fact, not at all. But I have a peavey firebass, and I quite like it (475@4Ohms, 700@2Ohms). I recently played this gig in quite a large club, using a four ohm load, a 2x10 and a 1x15, and I was fine (UnPA'd) at 8:preGain 5:Master (Some times p.g. upto 10 for a little grit), I was cuttign through and soudnign fine, what is this talk of the limiter? Mine has no indicator (Unless the little LED goes red when its on, and if so, never done that.)

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Bassline_Deluxe Actually, about a week after I got it I took the Peavey into an authorized repair shop to have it checked out, I thought something was wrong with it. I ended up replacing it with an RMX1850HD and later a PLX2402. Now I think I only need about 1000 watts. I don't thump and smack my bass as hard as I used to.

4. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    man, get onhe they are so much fun. Do a search for "b1500". There is carvin worker dude on the boards that does a really nice description of it. susch an awesome amp i won't even look at a another head unless it can beat the b1500 in power. Plus you can run 4 8ohm 4x10's...hell yeah.

5. The B1500 has a very logical and user friendly eq section, and is a very good bang for your money. IMO a lot better than the red line series.