Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Gas for a Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I keep telling myself that I am through getting anymore basses, But everytime I hear Gospel music, like Fred Hammond on TBN tonight, and I hear that SMITH, I get a bad case of gas, I am actually considering doing something with my Alembic Rouge-5 for one, but its a great bass also, but I STILL WANT A SMITH, I told my wife tonight, she just kind of gave me THAT LOOK :scowl: :eyebrow:

KEN SMITHS basses may have me in marriage counseling soon :confused:

Whats a man to do............. :hyper:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    THE FIRST high end bass I ever played was a fretless Ken Smith, It literally changed my outlook on bass, It was like holding a completely different beast in my hands, it was raw natural, powerfully (I can't really explain how it felt) (it was also my first time playing a fretless). wonderful instruments thems are, and not just for gospel!

That said, dunno if I'd jeoporadize my marriage over it, maybe sell some old furniture or take a trip to the antique roadshow...

3. The 2 Smiths (a 5 & 6) I had were ultra-playable, & had a great tone. The 5 in particular got a lot of favorable comments on the sound, many times from non-musicians. My only 'gripe', & that's really too strong a word, was just slightly tighter than ideal spacing. I also would've like a bit more versatility, tone-wise. As for marital relations, I'm no expert, but I always say if you don't fight it means you don't care! Fred Hammond Rizzocks, BTW.

4. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    In regards to my comments about my marriage, I was just being sarcastic :cool: but she did give me that look :eyebrow: :scowl:

I gave her back this look outside. :smug: but on the inside I gave her the :spit: :eek:

shes a good woman :cool:

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've been gasing for a BSR6P for past couple of months now.My wife proably had even more of a sinister look on her face especially since (I sold the MTD 635 she bought for me last year)my latest misadventure involving numerous high-end basses. :bag:

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    hands5, You got (or had) cajones. My wife bought me a Crate practice amp about 10 years ago and a Zoom pedal about 8 years ago. I make sure to use that Crate at least a few times a week. I even pull out the Zoom just so she knows I still have it. Those are definitely on the "do not sell....ever" list.

Fire-Starter, If you ever came to Detroit, you'd just have to weather the storm. Smiths are everywhere. Most churches with 1,000 or more members have at least one bassist with a 5 or 6 string Smith. Huber & Breese and Lowdown Sound both stock some really nice Smiths. You'd go home with one.

Peace,

James

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    a bro,BELIEVE YOU ME !She has not been most polite during some real hard times late at nite(I guess you can tell what I'm referring to)it been rough man. :help:

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    YOU SOLD YOUR MTD 635 THAT SHE GOT FOR YOU. :eek:

you dont play around do you, I tip my hat to you sir :cool:

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

If I came to Detroit with my wife knowing what you just told me, I would be in big you know what :crying:

so...do you have any contact info the dealers mentioned

10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

So did you tell her before or after you sold it?

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Before,because if I would've have told her after I pretty sure that there would've been a good chance of me being in the same company as "John Wayne Bobbit"

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I live in the Tampa bay are which is about a 1 hr drive to Orlando so I go to Basscentral at least every 2 weeks and they do have a few models there 5/6 string but mostly the bolt-on models,but they will get a Black Tiger Elite in on occasions,however when I go down to Miami(talk about babes ! MAN !)oh,sorry got a little distracted,anywayKen Smiths are all over the place

13. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Isn't that the guy who got his tallywhacker cut off in his sleep by his wife :eek: If so, you made a VERY EXCELLENT choice :eyebrow: BTW,,,since the MTD-6 is such a high end and highly rated bass, what did you replace it with?

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I sold my MTD 535 for a BSR G 5 string necktrough, and I'll never go back. The MTD had a certain depth of sound that was attractive, but It could'nt growl like the smith.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just got back from Ken's...You should see all the gorgeous basses ready to go out the door...

I have a flamed koa 6 on order...