1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting Gas for a Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I keep telling myself that I am through getting anymore basses, But everytime I hear Gospel music, like Fred Hammond on TBN tonight, and I hear that SMITH, I get a bad case of gas, I am actually considering doing something with my Alembic Rouge-5 for one, but its a great bass also, but I STILL WANT A SMITH, I told my wife tonight, she just kind of gave me THAT LOOK :scowl: :eyebrow:

KEN SMITHS basses may have me in marriage counseling soon :confused:

Whats a man to do............. :hyper:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    THE FIRST high end bass I ever played was a fretless Ken Smith, It literally changed my outlook on bass, It was like holding a completely different beast in my hands, it was raw natural, powerfully (I can't really explain how it felt) (it was also my first time playing a fretless). wonderful instruments thems are, and not just for gospel!

That said, dunno if I'd jeoporadize my marriage over it, maybe sell some old furniture or take a trip to the antique roadshow...

3. The 2 Smiths (a 5 & 6) I had were ultra-playable, & had a great tone. The 5 in particular got a lot of favorable comments on the sound, many times from non-musicians. My only 'gripe', & that's really too strong a word, was just slightly tighter than ideal spacing. I also would've like a bit more versatility, tone-wise. As for marital relations, I'm no expert, but I always say if you don't fight it means you don't care! Fred Hammond Rizzocks, BTW.

4. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    In regards to my comments about my marriage, I was just being sarcastic :cool: but she did give me that look :eyebrow: :scowl:

I gave her back this look outside. :smug: but on the inside I gave her the :spit: :eek:

shes a good woman :cool:

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've been gasing for a BSR6P for past couple of months now.My wife proably had even more of a sinister look on her face especially since (I sold the MTD 635 she bought for me last year)my latest misadventure involving numerous high-end basses. :bag:

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    hands5, You got (or had) cajones. My wife bought me a Crate practice amp about 10 years ago and a Zoom pedal about 8 years ago. I make sure to use that Crate at least a few times a week. I even pull out the Zoom just so she knows I still have it. Those are definitely on the "do not sell....ever" list.

Fire-Starter, If you ever came to Detroit, you'd just have to weather the storm. Smiths are everywhere. Most churches with 1,000 or more members have at least one bassist with a 5 or 6 string Smith. Huber & Breese and Lowdown Sound both stock some really nice Smiths. You'd go home with one.

Peace,

James

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    a bro,BELIEVE YOU ME !She has not been most polite during some real hard times late at nite(I guess you can tell what I'm referring to)it been rough man. :help:

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    YOU SOLD YOUR MTD 635 THAT SHE GOT FOR YOU. :eek:

you dont play around do you, I tip my hat to you sir :cool:

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

If I came to Detroit with my wife knowing what you just told me, I would be in big you know what :crying:

so...do you have any contact info the dealers mentioned

10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

So did you tell her before or after you sold it?

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Before,because if I would've have told her after I pretty sure that there would've been a good chance of me being in the same company as "John Wayne Bobbit"

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I live in the Tampa bay are which is about a 1 hr drive to Orlando so I go to Basscentral at least every 2 weeks and they do have a few models there 5/6 string but mostly the bolt-on models,but they will get a Black Tiger Elite in on occasions,however when I go down to Miami(talk about babes ! MAN !)oh,sorry got a little distracted,anywayKen Smiths are all over the place

13. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Isn't that the guy who got his tallywhacker cut off in his sleep by his wife :eek: If so, you made a VERY EXCELLENT choice :eyebrow: BTW,,,since the MTD-6 is such a high end and highly rated bass, what did you replace it with?

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I sold my MTD 535 for a BSR G 5 string necktrough, and I'll never go back. The MTD had a certain depth of sound that was attractive, but It could'nt growl like the smith.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just got back from Ken's...You should see all the gorgeous basses ready to go out the door...

I have a flamed koa 6 on order...