Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting gear insurance...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, that new thread "Boutique basses in the real world" got me thinking. I go out and play a lot of bars, and I always bring my three axes with me because I switch them up for certain songs. So now that I've heard all these horror stories, Im wondering how I can go about getting my equipment insured? And if I can get it insured, is there any sort of monthly payments I have to make?

2. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    there is a good Gear Insurance thread over in misc.

I recommend it, and my day job is Insurance Underwriter.

3. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    can't you get stuff insured through your home owners insurance?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    except if it gets stolen outside of your house on a gig... or out of your car.

Check that thread out in misc... lot's of good info.

...btw, INSURANCE IS VERY IMPORTANT!!

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Actually, my '73 P-Bass was thought to have been damaged in my truck (thank God it wasn't).. and they said it would come out of my homeowners even tho it was at a gig.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    really? How about on theft? Cause I was totally burnt on that one, when a bass of mine grew feet on a gig on the cape nearly 10 years ago.

7. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Read your policy. Mine is covered while in Transit. But if I make income regualarly with it, it is no longer a personal content item, but a Business Tool. Thus the need for better insurance.

8. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    Check out this link:
    http://www.musicproinsurance.com/

I've had insurance through them for a couple of years, and the coverage is as close to ABSOLUTE as you can get. Everything is insured on a replacement cost basis, and you're covered pretty much anywhere and under any circumstances.

9. Yeah thanks for the info...I'd really hate to come home one day and find all of my stuff stolen, or even find it stolen while I was at a bar.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    In addition to the above, there is another insurance from Seabury & Smith (I think that's the name)... you may want to google it...

:)