1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting into 12s??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guidedbassman, Dec 14, 2006.

1. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    I have been thinking about buying a 4-12 cab and have been looking for the new ampeg 412he cab, do any of my fellow TBers have any input on these cabs i have not hear them yet. I am looking for a great rock tone with alot of upper mids and i use a overdriven sound out of my fender jaguar and mia P-bass. Would the 12s make as good of a rock cab as my fender pro 810????????

thanks john:bassist: :bassist:

2. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I have the Ampeg 412HE. It's a midrange monster, I use it with a Mesa 400+. It's got mroe roar to it than a growl, it's very throaty.

It's also insanely heavy.

3. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    cool i am going for a billy sheehan meets gedy lee kind of tone do you think it would fit that bill?

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I think Ampeg discontinued that cab unless they recently brought it back, so you may have a tough time finding one. I have a pair of SWR 4x12's and yes, they are awesome for rock. Marshall makes a sealed 4x12 for bass though you will have to custom order it in the states as most places don't carry it.

JR

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    the aguilar 4x12 is a sexy cab.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You might want to consider 2 2x12 units.

Or, consider an investment in a used forklift.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    A 412 just seems a bit unwieldy no matter how you look at it. I'll stick to just 112 in each cab :)

8. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Yes.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Horsepucky!

I have an Aguilar GS412 and it is quite manageable. It weighs less than some 4x10's, tilts back with nice wheels, and fits transversely in my Subaru wagon.

Plus it rooooooooocks.

[​IMG]

10. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005

Yeha depending on what head and basses you are using, I would think that 412HE will get you there.

And as far as size goes, it is big, but it's not any worse than my guitarists Mesa 4x12.

11. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    thanks for the help guys i love the tone i get with my fender pro 810 but i am always looking for "that sound " thats in my head. Saddly like alot of us I don't think i'll ever get it or stop spending money in the hunt for it .

Thanks john

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    As an additional option, check out the Gallien-Krueger Neo 412.

I have a GK Neo 212/115 stack, and it rocks! Smooth, LOUD, great midrange, excellent with overdrive!

Plus, it's LIGHT and small for a cab of its size - around 110 lbs. Compare that to the 160+ lb. Ampeg 810 Classic :D

13. jshellac

jshellac

Dec 10, 2006
    I have played through and recorded with a svt 412he for the last 2.5 yrs. I bought it brand new. this cab is AWESOME!! no two ways about it!! the size and managability are a major plus as far as touring goes, when compared to a 810. I use my svtCL and two bug muffs, it handles it. it weighs the same as my head, roughly 80lbs.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a pair of the new Ampeg single 12 cabs (SVT12HE) and they sound fantastic. 12's definately rock and the Ampeg 12's seem to be holding their own.

15. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT

+1

It's interesting that my largest cabinet is also, for me, the easiest cabinet for me to move. I prefer to move my GS412 over my GS112's. It's due to a lot less lifting and bending over. YMMV

Does anyone know if the Ampeg 412he is a tilt-back design with built-in rear wheels.

16. jshellac

jshellac

Dec 10, 2006
    the ampeg 412 has built in handles and removable casters.