Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting into jazz in NW England (UK)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mottlefeeder, Aug 30, 2005.

1. All the advice I get about improving is centred around knowing your stuff, and playing in a band. The first I have got covered (I mean I'm still learning, but I can play competently and confidently within my limitations), but the second is a bit of a catch 22 in that I cannot audition well without the experience, and I cannot get the experience without gigging somewhere.

Can anyone out there advise me of any open mic jazz evenings in the Warrington/Liverpool/Manchester area, so that I can find out what numbers I ought to know, and what standard of playing is acceptable.

I have been playing for about 6 years, almost exclusively in church worship bands.

Thanks

2. I am starting to try and do the same thing in the NE. Best thing to do is go to the local music shops, most of them should know when the open mics in the area are. Also speak to tutors in your area, I found out about the one I am starting to go to from talking to my bass teacher.