1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting into the double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Get guys!
    I was would like more info on the double bass. I really want to learn how to play one. I taught myself electric bass for 1 1/2 years now.
    I would also like a good place to buy one too. Thanks.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Feel free to peruse the locked thread at the top of this forum labeled
    STICKY LINKS
    NEWBIE LINKS: BASSES

It has a wealth of information, thoughtfully assembled by one of our moderators, Chris Fitzgerald. If something youread in one of those linked threads raises a question, all you need to do is respond in that thread and it will become live and people will answer it.

Oh, and filling out your profile a little more will help folks when you start asking questions like "where can I buy a bass?" with a little more specificity.

3. noted. Thanks man

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Get a Teacher that is at least Orchestra Trained and work with the Simandl Book I.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Juvenile. :rolleyes:

6. Who is this maestro guy??

I didnt see his post on the forum? :confused:

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ed?...care to step up to the mic?

8. Maestro

Maestro banned

May 16, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I am completely honored to be classified in such a way by a member as yourself. I truely send out my gratitude to you Zebra.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Looks like Maestro has changed the url for his homepage as well. I actually visited his site a few days ago, to help me figure out what makes the guy tick.

Sad.

10. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    As a method to start try George Vance's books,
    Correlli medium strings and Carlson rosin.

The Rabbath method

http://www.slavapub.net/

Getting a teacher can save you years in progress.

Myles

11. Electric bass is a whole different instrument. Get a couple lessons from a double bass teacher. Rent a bass if you have to. Judging by your other posts, db may not be for you in the long run. Not yet, anyway.