Getting into the double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Get guys!
    I was would like more info on the double bass. I really want to learn how to play one. I taught myself electric bass for 1 1/2 years now.
    I would also like a good place to buy one too. Thanks.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Feel free to peruse the locked thread at the top of this forum labeled

It has a wealth of information, thoughtfully assembled by one of our moderators, Chris Fitzgerald. If something youread in one of those linked threads raises a question, all you need to do is respond in that thread and it will become live and people will answer it.

Oh, and filling out your profile a little more will help folks when you start asking questions like "where can I buy a bass?" with a little more specificity.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Get a Teacher that is at least Orchestra Trained and work with the Simandl Book I.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Juvenile. :rolleyes:
  5. Who is this maestro guy??

I didnt see his post on the forum? :confused:
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Ed? to step up to the mic?
  7. Maestro

Maestro banned

May 16, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I am completely honored to be classified in such a way by a member as yourself. I truely send out my gratitude to you Zebra.
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Looks like Maestro has changed the url for his homepage as well. I actually visited his site a few days ago, to help me figure out what makes the guy tick.

9. MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    As a method to start try George Vance's books,
    Correlli medium strings and Carlson rosin.

The Rabbath method

Getting a teacher can save you years in progress.

10. Electric bass is a whole different instrument. Get a couple lessons from a double bass teacher. Rent a bass if you have to. Judging by your other posts, db may not be for you in the long run. Not yet, anyway.