Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting it fixed.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, May 9, 2005.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Sensitive topic, but hey, bass players are sensitive people right? :eyebrow:

OK so here's the deal. I'm 38, no kids and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Anybody here been "fixed"? I've been looking into it, and it seems relatively simple and it seems most insurance plans cover it.

Comments/warnings/advice/thoughts? :confused:

2. Not anything to worry about. Do what the Dr. says; chill with an ice pack for 2-3 days and its done.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

no real pain involved in the procedure , just a little burning
    from the initial novacaine injection .
    had the tubes tied friday and i was back at work the following
    monday .

just be sure that you really want the operation , as i wouldn't
    want to undergo a reversal .
    i understand it is a lot more painful and that the chances of failure
    are higher ...

4. -although, w/2-soon-to-be 3 kids, I never considered myself broken. :smug: I also felt no pain during the procedure, although mild discomfort- not pain- lingered for awhile(2 weeks). I just took it easy(milked it, says my wife). I did have a strange reaction to the pain med, though; it made me regurgitate my breakfast, as well as any food I tried to eat the next day. The odd thing was that it didn't taste bad at all on the way up. :eek: Truly bizarre. On the comically ironic side, A week after having it done, we found out wifey is w/child. :eek: ; :meh: ... :hyper:

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fold it in half and keep the spitting end out. :D

6. wow, I don't think there is anything that can follow this up

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

I......

I don't know what to say to that...

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What the others said. I had it done when I was 35 after my last child was born, and although it isnt something you'll do for recreation, its no big deal. The discomfort is minimal. Have it done and use it as an excuse to sit on the couch and watch TV with an icebag for a few days.

9. OMFG! My girlfriend wants to knwo why I am laughing so hard!

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Beware of the false sense of "I'm OK and I'm going to go do things" after the procedure. Just sit on your butt for two days and watch TV.

I had a friend who "felt fine" afterwards, and the next day he mowed the lawn. He swelled up and turned purple-bruised, and endured terrible pain for more than a week, all because he pushed himself.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

and you will be fine. Skip the ice because of no pain and you wwill suffer IMHO

Wesley R.

12. Frozen peas conform to your, um, shape & contours better than ice(where's the *ahhh...* smilie?).

13. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    It's a simple operation done under local anaesthetic. A lot less trouble than having a tooth extracted IMHO. There was some talk about having this procedure done and an increased rick of prostate cancer but, according to my Dr, the evidence is inconclusive. There are also very rare cases where the sperm find their way into you body after the op and cause the development of antibodies which attempt to fight off the "infection". Apparently this can give rise to a variety of symptoms, but again, it is very rare.

The main thing to understand is that the op is, in effect, permanent. Reversal has a low sucess rate and is both involved and expensive. You need to think about all the circumstances that might arise in the future and make your own judgement.

oh.... just one more thing.... Apparently the biggest risk of having the op is ignoring the Dr's advice and having unprotected sex without waiting for a negative sperm count.

14. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    All good advice (well, not so sure about the folding thing...); thanks guys!

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    SOLD!

quick question... you can like... still... do it when its done rite? Its the same but you um... fire blanks? rite? what? Does it hurt the same if you get hit...?

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yes, Yes, No

I'm looking into doing it myself. No kids yet and a very, very strong desire to keep it that way.

17. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    But you must hate kids then right? That's why I get all the time. No, I love kids just fine...
    other people's kids. ;)

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You cant get it unfixed eh?

the one thing that sucks badly about it... you cant unchange your mind once its done...

19. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    True, but I can always adopt. The world will be just fine without me adding to the gene pool. ;)

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    There are those that might suggest the world will be better off...

:ninja:

...I know they say that about ME!!!!

:spit:

:D