Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting label interest...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Ok so here's the deal. A few months ago I advertised on some local Toronto sites that I'm a fairly inexperienced bassist looking to join a band. To my surprise, I received around 15-20 replies. Most of the people sent me links to their original music and I didn't like any of it.

Then one fateful day, I walked into my local music shop and saw a post that a band is looking for a bassist. To make a long story short, these guys are amazing. The style of music is a kind of progressive rock that reminds me of The Doors. I personally have a very discriminating ear and I know what to look for when it comes to music. This band ROCKS. I can definitely see myself listening to their songs in the car and they have a large but very local following. We are currently regrouping due to attitudes and immaturity breaking the band apart and we should be ready to really get out there again in about 4-6 months. The web site is in production by myself and should be up within 2-3 weeks.

Sorry for the thesis, but I'm wondering what is a good way to get some exposure and possibly some interest from a label. We currently have 8-9 EXCELLENT songs, with another 4-5 in the works, as well as 20 or so on paper and just in our heads.

Everyone who hears us loves the music, including people who have years of experience. Any advice out there?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As no specific recording is mentioned here, I'll move this to "Miscellaneous."

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If the major ones start to show interest, run like hell!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm pretty sure it involves a lot of whoring ;) are ya ready?

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Woodchuck is right here. Be especially careful if some bloke called Matt, who claims to be from Virgin, starts showing interest. He'll fill you full of big talk about recording an album, but it's all lies. You don't want to know what evil, depraved things he has in mind for those poor gullible fools who fall for his act and fly out to LA at this sick conman's behest.

Run, run while there's still time. It's already too late for some people... :D :D

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D

7. Touring? that's about the only way to build a following independently.
    Options:
    Slowly expand your fanbase, touring farther and farther around the city, then out across the tri-state (or tri-province...though it might be harder there) until word of mouth travels far enough so you have a decent following.
    Also, tour with another band from Toronto, go on tour together, it'll feel less awkward
    And, get contacts in other cities, try and arrange gigs through those.

Hope this helps,

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so would you say that you don't like being in a signed band? if so, why?

or are ya just being smart-ass?

(if one replaces the "smart" with a "b", then he has just spelled what instrument we all play? we're all destined to be smart-asses!).