Getting Lakland 55-02, but what Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xerid, May 6, 2004.

1. xerid

Apr 30, 2004
    Hello everyone. I've been reading up bass guitars for a few months now, and I finally decided to go with a Lakland. However, now comes another decision. What Amp? I'm new to everything, so any information/tips you can provide would be great. What would make a nice match?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Welcome aboard...

Well, the amp you choose should do the B string justice...

When I visited Lakland a few years ago, Dan had a really tasty rig with some sort of Aguilar head and an Epifani 2x12. That baby shook the place...

Are you looking for a combo, a head and cabinet, a rack system (separate preamp, power amp and cabinet) or ?

What type of music do you play, how loud do you need to be and how much money do you have to spend?

Are you willing to buy good used gear (lots of it available at bargain prices)?
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What budget range are we talking here?
  4. xerid

Apr 30, 2004
    I'd like to keep total cost under 2k. As far as what I am looking for, I really don't know. I don't even know the difference. I'm just learning.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    With that kind of budget, you can get yourself an amp that you'll never have to replace.

Here's the concept...go the rack route....find a preamp that makes you happy, buy a pro quality power amp that will have all the juice that you'd ever want...something like a QSC PLX2402 or QSC PLX3002 and a pair of wide range high fidelity Acme Low B2 or if you can stretch it, the Low B4. See them at

There are other top quality, wide range cabinets out there, but I only have experience with the Acmes.

If you get very accurate cabinets and a pro quality power amp, the only bit that you might ever want to change is the preamp. You'll save yourself a ton of money (over time) by not having to upgrade the amp for more power (taking a huge loss on the old gear) and by relying on the preamp for tone shaping (rather than buying loudspeakers with a characteristic sound) you're unlikely to grow tired of the cabinets.

Does this make sense?

Have fun!
  6. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    I was in soundcontrol (Britains answer to GC) with my 55-02 today and checked out an ampeg 115hp. it was gorgeous, handled the low B great, great tone. when i turned up the bass full on the pre amp the whole building shook without a sign of distortion ;) . It was £699. I'm not sure what they go for in the states, but, knowing rip off Britain, they'll be cheaper in US.