1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Getting lost in Praise music.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MalcolmAmos, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Aside from practice and knowing how the WL likes to do things, I normally say a silent prayer just before playing that goes something along the lines of "Lord, let me not be a distraction." It seems to work out well, especially since worship music at my church often changes as the Spirit moves. Many times, I get asked to fill in for the following service as I'm tearing down from my regular service, and the prayer is the primary thing that gets me through it without causing a train wreck.

2. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Best thing I ever did was play at church, for both reasons.

Musically it was incredible.

Playing Rock in the past I lived in blues scales.

Liturgical music changed my playing more than anything I ever played.

Give it time, you'll never regret it.

3. Yeah, my WL at my old church used to throw changes at me constantly. She'd go from guitar to piano and totally change keys on me with no notice. In fact, I rarely got chord sheets or charts. I wouldn't know what song was next until I saw it up on the wall. Thank God for a good ear.

Sometimes time is your best teacher. The more time you spend with this band, the better and tighter you get. You'll be able to feel them out and know when they're going into a certain portion of the song simply by reading their body language and the change in dynamics. We've got a new WL at our church. I was on a team where I knew what the WL was going to do and knew his style. Then they moved me to this other guy's team and he's different. He's a little more laid back than the other 2 WL's we have but he's also the pastor's son so I gotta give the guy some slack. I know time in the cockpit with this guy will help the team get tighter. He also does signs a little different. Nothing to worry about but a little more time and we'll be as tight as the other team is.

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like an inexperienced worship leader, the type who sings great but does not lead the congregation. He should not always be singing but giving verbal directions. It may be one word from the upcoming chorus, verse, bridge, etc which lets the musicians, singers and audio/visual team know where to go. And when we hear that word and see the visual signal if we are lucky then we, make that someone starts the turn around to the the next chord and/or section of the song.

My best example is Israel Houghton giving an obvious signal by breaking the melody to announce three times to the New Breed to modulate a song up to Eb. And that performnce was used for a live recording.

5. Well Sunday came, and with your comments, I was able to follow along with out any large problems. Missed a few, but, was able to find my place quickly.

Thanks for the help. :hyper:

6. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Ditto here and PTL for that!! Today was my fourth appearance as bassist and the place was packed. The MD threw a couple of curve balls (new key for one piece, change in the order of verse/chorus/bridge on another one) but he patiently walked me through it before the service.

When you make a boo-boo on electric bass, it's a big and very public boo-boo. Fortunately it all worked great today!! :D

7. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I do that...Use red and black ink(sharpies)...I number verses and chorus/vocal bridges and instrumentals in numerical order..That way I am not searching for repeat/return notes.

I make my own charts. If I can I record the band...work up fake charts and break the song up as performed using the method above. Works OK for me.

I just subbed for a 7 piece blues and jazz band...all new songs for me. I used the outline above to save my azz. They gave me chords and rests on the music staff along with notation to transpose. Time to work on reading!

As the songs became familiar the changes and potential for exceptions became easier to handle...like the extended guitar solo's and chorus repeats initiated by the lead vocalist.

You'll get it! Peace...:bassist:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021