Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting lost in the mix...not me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave120, Feb 12, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I don't know about everybody else, but my GK 1001-RBII has way more than enough power at 8 ohms with 480 watts with my SS 410 cab to keep up with and overpower my guitarists with halfstacks who are running a G3 series Randall with 100 watts and lots of gain, and my lead guitar with a JCM 2000. They run their amps at about 4-5 or maybe 6 depending on the place and I have yet to use above 2 and I'm heard just fine according to everybody as well as the recording/videos of our shows I've watched. I can't imagine how loud it would be with another 410 and 700 watts...I play in an alternative/hard rock band that with pretty loud screaming guitars and we practice at volumes (mainly dictated by my drummer who is a fairly big guy and so is loud) at which I won't practice without earplugs.

I will admit my bass tone isn't traditional and is sort of bright and punchy compared to a lot of bassists (something I get complimented on a lot is my tone, which makes me feel good since my whole rig is pretty budget). What's really odd is my rhythm guitar with the Randall will get lost in the mix more than I do! If he has his bass knob turned up too much, he'll go over after a song and turn it down to almost nothing because he says he can't hear himself. I bet a lot of you are jealous of having that role reversal huh? :) When he does that he stands out a lot more but it doesn't drown me out either. I think we've got the perfect all around sound matchup when they have their amps set right.

We just did some recording in the studio yesterday but I don't have the final mix to post up here yet for people to hear. Should get that back in about a week I think. I think if you wanted an example of my sound, the closest one I can find in a pro band is Duff's sound in his Velvet Revolver stuff. Growly and punchy with just a hint of overdrive that you can't really hear. I guess that makes sense since my rig is very similar. Modern GK head, MXR M-80 pedal, SD pickups, etc. If I added some chorus I'd probably be pretty spot on to that sound, but I don't like sounding exactly like somebody else so I'll stick with what I have since I like it and it sounds really good with this band.

Who else is in this situation where you don't have to constantly fight your guitar players to hear yourself? I can't be the only one, but there's so many threads about people having this problem so I figured it's time for a post like this! If you have a good sound that cuts through, post the rigs of you and your band so it might help people out a little bit. I had to do this for a local friend so I figured on a board like this with so many players it would be beneficial.

My Rig:
    • Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II head (700 Watts @ 4ohm, 480 @ 8 ohm)
    • Steelsound Eminence loaded 410 (8 ohm)
    • I use all my basses occasionally, but mostly my modded SX P/J with SD Hot for P and Hot Stack J pickups
    • MXR M-80 Bass DI+
    • Rotosound RB45 Nickel roundwound strings

My guitar players:

• Washburn Idol guitars modified with SD pickups (Alnico IIs for my lead, JB and Jazz for my rhythm)
    • Rhythm amp: Randall G3 series 100W head, Randall halfstack (really gritty)
    • Lead amp: Marshall JCM 2000 50W tube head, Marshall halfstack (smooth and somewhat bluesy sound)

2. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    My WT800B through an Epifani T210UL for the top and EA CXL112 for the bottom gives a full range sound that comfortably sits with the Marshall JTM45 stack on my left (permanently wound up to achieve what the guitarist refers to as 'his sound') and a MkIII Boogie on my right. The Eden stays the pace without turning much above the 11 o'clock position, which helps it maintain a punchy and controlled sound with heaps of bottom end.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't have that problem either but then, I won't work with a guitar player that gives me that problem.