Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting massive low end soud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srbguitar, Apr 19, 2003.

1. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    ok I'm looking for an amp (head or Pre/power) that will produce a big low end and has a LOT of power.
    currently i have a GK 800rb and it just dosen't produce enough low end to my liking.

the speakers i am using are an Avatar 4x10 and an unknown 2x15, the cabinet is fine but i need to replace the drivers because they arn't that great.

i also still want to bi-amp the system

my questions are:

what head or Preamp will give Massive low end,
    and also give me a lot of power and head room with out to much money (if its not obvious i am very poor
    :(

i was looking into an Ampeg svp-pro pre-amp (i think thats the one), with a crossover and a Nady 850 and 1400 power amps to power it.(850 for highs to the 4x10 and the 1400 to the 2x15)
    which brings another question:

Are Nady power amps good? i was wondering because they are rated for so much power and are extreamly cheap. i am very confused
    :confused:

any suggestions on what preamp, power amp, or head. please help me!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Please, don't ruin a perfectly good rig with a nady power amp. Get a crown CE series, or a QSC. Nadys don't kick at all. They are made of cheap parts, and their capacitors will not hold the power needed to kick the slap thumps. If you are going with a head, your 800 will work. Just properly EQ it, then get some better speakers. Avatars are not known for kicking low end. Get a better cab, like Eden or Mesa, maybe SWR. Hartkes are really punchy, but not that fat. Your GK head will work fine. also, what kind of bass are you running with it?

3. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    thanks for the worning on the Nady power amps.

I am using a Schecter 5 string
    and the avatar is being used for the high end of the bi-amp so it doesnt give the low end

i think the problem is the drivers in the 2x15 cabinet

is there any other 15" drivers to look into besides Eminence that will be efficient and give a strong low end presence

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    electrovoice, all electrovoice. They rock. where is you crossover point? That might help. I am a total gearhead, so I can help ya.

5. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    crossover is at about 400 hz

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    electrovoice are expensive, but you probably were going to spend that much anyways. They have a 15" speaker that goes down to 30Hz. eminence magnum series go down to 28 Hz. I'd say try any of those.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What are the dimensions of the 2x15 cab?

Remember that a great driver will sound like crap in the wrong size enclosure. The trick here is to get a drivers that are designed to kick butt in your cab.

Ev are excellent. JBL are also excellent (the E145 is the best 15 ever made IMO). DOn't underestimate Eminence, choose carefully and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    CARVIN POWER AMPS.

Also, for a massive, low end sound, I think you should play bass.

9. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Get an SWR 750x and turn the subwave on. THAT will get you massive lows;)

10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    A crappy 215 can have a lot less lowend than a 410 and it sounds like your 215 is crappy. Try running the Avatar 410 on its own and see if it does a better job on the lows.

As for eq try the following and see if it works: Turn the pre gain all the way down, the master all the way up. Leave the bass flat and the rest of the eq's at 9 o'clock. The mid-cut switch should be in. Turn the pre up to control volume.

11. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I agree with PB about Carvin. I have owned a couple of their power amps, and they do sound good with bass.

I have an Avatar 1x15 loaded with a 300W Eminence driver. It was pretty cheap new on the Bay, and it definitely has big bottom. I also have an ex-Hartke 1x15 loaded with an EV
    400W -- as a standalone it is far superior to the Avatar, but on the bottom of a biamp stack they are equals. If you're absolutely sure you're going to be biamping I'd say save the money and go Eminence over EV.

To my ear, old-school Ampeg gear tends toward the "Big Bottom" kind of tone (but not their newest line which was designed to be a departure from that sound).

12. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    And besides all that, massive low end is highly overrated. I'd rather have tone that cuts like a knife. The worst thing is to be in the audience and not be able to hear the bass player's notes because of thundering, muddled lows. If you want people to admire your playing, they need to hear WHAT you're playing.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. But lets not turn this thread into an arguement. He wants more bottom end, so lets work on giving him more bottom end.....

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i have some massive low end, i'll tell ya. i have an older Ampeg SVT-3pro hooked up to a hartke 4x10 XL. what drew me to the hartke is that the tens go all the way down to 30 hz. thats insane, my friends SWR goliath only goes to 45. my ampeg/hartke setup rocks, and it costed me about 550 dollars (200 for the cab, 350 for the head) and DON'T USE 15'S!!! i had a 15 before, and my 4x10 whoops its ass in the low area, so ditch the avatar and the 2x15 and go for a good 4x10. if you find the right one, it'll be massive boomies like mine.

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have a SONIC 1-18 with the EV upgrade.(see www.sonicspeaker.com ) It is NOT boomy, CAN be used as a stand alone, or biamped.It is the same size as a 4-10. Serious bottom. I have had Eden 1-18, and Eden 2-15s. This is much clearer. Cost me $250. used.