1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting max power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Aug 11, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    When using a ha3500 head and a 410xl cab, i get 240w @8ohms. if the load is 4ohms I get 350w (as im sure you are aware). My query is this: how should I attach the extra cab (to total 4ohms - two 8ohm cabs)? the amp has two outputs, but using the spare output would just give 240 through another 8ohm cab, no? The 410xl has TWO inputs, and I heard that by putting the extra cab (say a 210xl) in the spare speaker input would equal 4ohms. but would the 210 sound louder than the 410? the sockets on the 410xl are not labelled, so does it matter which i puug into what? the amp works through either.

I have typed this in a bit of a hurry and I hope it makes sense! If you know what the hell im going on about, please help.

Cheers, chris.:D

2. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    If you plug another 8 ohm cab into your amp (so you have an 8 ohm cab going into each output socket) your amp will put out its rated power 350 watts into both cabs.
    The two sockets in your existing cab are used for bridging cabs, doesn't matter which one plugs into your amp.
    But don't do what I did once.
    I plugged two speaker cables from my poweramp to the one quadbox thinking that I could drive the cab with more power. Luckily the amp was a jandsJ600 ,an enormously tough machine. The amp overheated and conked out in the middle of a song halfway through our set. I waited a minute for it to cool down, unplugged a speaker cable , switched it on again and we finished the set.
    Don't try that trick - not good!:D

Using an extra cab , whether its a 2x10 or 15 will definately make your sound louder and bigger.
    You can either bridge cabs or plug both cabs into your amp , results are the same, both will be 4ohm load.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    You can connect a second 8Ohm cab either to the second speaker output of the amp or to the second input/output of your first cab. In both cases the amp will see a total load of 4Ohms, so it will put out 350W. Each cab will see 175W, no matter how you hook them up (boh ways are parallel wiring, because the 2 inputs of the cab are wired parallel)

As hannibal said, never connect the two sides of a poweramp (which actually work as 2 seperate amps) to one cab. Same applies for any two amps.

Matthias

4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Excellent, thanks very much. Now I just need to save up for another cab!