Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting more growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Feb 26, 2003.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am craving some growl. I played a Warwick and loved the tons of growl that bass had.

Is there a way I can get more growl out of my existing bass?

Is there an eq setting or range that would emphasise the growl?

Is there a distortion or overdrive that can emulate it closely?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You plays a Fender Jazz, no? ;)

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I still have it, but I am going to sell it. My main axe will be my Lakland 55-02.

4. I think by bumping the mids around 500-900mhz,that might help. I LOVE the growl myself. Good Luck.:bassist:

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    BTW, I am not complaining about the level of growl I get on the Lakland. Believe it or not I seem to get more growl from the neck-most coil of the bridge pickup. The bass has a mid that can be stwitched from 4 different frequencies. That is helful. I seemed to have found a good spot at 250hz. I have some untapped eq options with my rig and I was wanting to explore opinions of others and different eq settings.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i boost a little at either 450hz or 220hz on my ampeg svp-pro - does it for me!

7. Sometimes the growl of a bass comes from the pickup placement or the string tension. A different set of strings can have a great effect on your tone. Play around with your EQ, though. The optimum growl settings vary from instrument to instrument.

8. What about with a BTB? I have no growl, just endless amounts of huge low end. I've played with my head a bit but I have to use it to boost the highs. Any ideas?

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jazz bass users, what works best for you?

10. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    i really like a growly jazz bass myself. I usually put the pickups as far from the strings as possible. This will lower your dynamics and such but the tone will be more aggressive for sure. You will still need to let the pickup angle the way you want it for your setup though. Hope it helps

Joe

11. On a Jazz, roll off the volume of the neck pickup to around 3 or 0. Play with a heavier right hand than you normally would.

12. Which Warwick model were you playing? Some are similar to a Fender Jazz -- not in appearance, but in p-up configuration and woods used. One of the key differences between a Corvette and a Jazz is the quality of the stock components, particularly the electronics package.

13. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    The Warwick was a bolt on Corvette. It had the jazz style pickups. That thing played and sounded so good. I couldn't afford it. The lo be was not quite as tight as the Lakland. I bought the Lakland also because it had a few more usable pickup configurations.