Getting more out of my Eden WT 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 12, 2006.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    OK some of you recall a mega-thread I started about my Eden-800 bridged mono through a Schroeder 1212 not being "loud" enough. Well, as crazy as it sounds, while it is certainly loud enough, I want more power. Right now, with the older version of the WT-800, I am limited to one 8-ohm cab in bridged mono mode. My Schroeder 1212 is sweet, a 1000 watt cab, very efficient, but more cabs = more power. I'd like to be able to add another 8 ohm cab and bridge down to 4 ohms but I can't do that unless I upgrade my WT-800 to the WT-800B. Eden offers this service for $495. Which is pretty expensive and requires me to send my amp to Minnesota and be without gear for a while. Not good since my band's goal is to play 40 more shows before summer. Anyway, I am still considering this, but some people have told me I could make use of the Eden's preamp and "slave" it to a more powerful poweramp for far less than $495. And apparently this would allow me to use another cab. I am looking for more info on this. And recommendations on poweramps or any other gear I may need. I always come to this board for answers and I always get 'em. That is what I love about Talkbass...

Any help appreciated!!! :)
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hmmm...for $399 new you could get a qsc rmx 1450 and have 1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms or 900 @ 8 ohms.

you'd be more than doubling the weight of your head by going this route...but maybe you could eventually sell the WT800 and get an eden navigator preamp might make a few hundred on the exchange too!
  3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I sold my WT-800 because it wasn't loud enough. Bought a QSC PLX2402 and a Kern preamp.

That was loud enough!

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This QSC RMX1450 is intriguing. There is one on Ebay ending soon for under $300....hmm....

I know a guy who needs a bass head who might want the Eden 800

I love Eden gear and would consider the Navigator preamp

But a 52 lb rig as opposed to a 26 lb rig... that almost makes upgrading the Eden worth it.

Then again, I could probably get the QSC + Nav rig for under $700 if I looked hard enough and could probably get around $700 for the Eden. That would save me $495 which would be the price of the Eden upgrade and I could use part of the savings for a 2x10 or 4x10 cab.....Avatar....
  5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Oops scratch that.... the Nav preamp is more expensive than I thought. Around $6-$700. I was thinking $300 because there is one on Ebay for that. But it has 3 days left.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    The QSC PLX series sounds interesting.......
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Wow it wasn't loud enough?

By the time you get another amp and all that you'd be better off just getting the upgrade. More power, more versitile. You could get another 8 ohm cab and daisy chain them in 4 ohm mono..each cab would get 550 watts, somewhere in there. A 210 and 212 would do the trick. Then you could also run stereo with the x over..whatever you wanted. By adding another amp, a good one to get you adequate power will run you the same or more as the will still be limited by the old WT800 set up, and will increase the weight of your set up by at least 50-60lbs.

Save 25 bucks a to you in the summer that gig money too;)

I'm doing the same thing. I have an ampeg 410 4 ohm...buh's getting sold to fund the upgrade...then I will get a sweet cab of my choice! muhahahaha
  8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah you're probably right. Any other thoughts on upgrading vs. slaving a poweramp or getting a poweramp + preamp? I like Eden so I'd probably want the Eden preamp if I go that route.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Have you ever actually plugged in a second 8-ohm cab and just ran it in stereo mode? You might be amazed at how loud it really can be.

I have a WT-500 and two 8-ohm 210XLTs. Same issue on a little smaller scale. My options are to bridge the head into one of the cabs, or run both in stereo mode.

The rig is noticeably louder with two cabs, even though in theory, there is about 100W less power available.

I'd buy my second cab and try it like it is. If you still think it isn't loud enough, then get the upgrade. The whole slave thing just seems like a PITB to me.

Or, you can sell your 8-ohm cab and buy two 4 ohm cabs and run stereo. But, you wouldn't have a one-cab rig available.
  10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I've only run two 8 ohm Aggie GS112s in stereo when I first go the amp. Two 4-ohm Schroeder mini-12s would probably kick ass but that's like $1000 worth of just cabs right there almost.

I think it would be sweet to get a QSC PLX 1650, an Eden Navigator Preamp, and another 8 ohm cab to go with my Schroeder 1212. However, I think upgrading the Eden 800 to an 800B is a more realistic option.

Maybe Eden will come out with the 800C and I should wait... heh.

It was nice playing a show last night where all the kid punk bass players bring out their Ampeg 610 and 810s and all I had was one little Schroeder1212 and could create pretty much just as much noise. But I'd like to add a second "little" cab and be able to knock the building down...
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I assume you know that when you're in bridged mode, you have to turn the "balance" knob all the way to the left for full power.
  12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Heh, don't worry, I learned that a while back from an old post of yours.

And yes, the Enhance knob is all the way to the LEFT too!

13. i would think it a waste of an amp to use the 800 as a pre only.
    if you want to get a power amp, sell the 800 and get a eden pre to go with a power amp.
    i have a plx 1602 into a schroeder 1212. good times.
    a cool feature about standalone power amps is the different configs of loads you can use.
    bridge down to 4 ohms and stereo to 2 ohms, meaning you could use 4 (4) ohm cabs at once, or 1 (4) ohm cab and everything inbetween.

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Same thing with the Eden 800 B. You can bridge 1100 watts at 4 ohms, 880 watts at 8 ohms or run stereo 550 watts per side at 4 ohms or 225 (something like that) a side at 8 ohms.

I don't think it goes down to 2 though. That's freakin' hot!

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I wonder if I'd be better off with an Eden Navigator Preamp and a QSC PLX 1602 or 2402. Then I could add an Avatar 210 or 410 to use with my Schroeder 1212. Level some small buildings and get great tone doing so. Thoughts? Kind of expensive I guess...

16. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Get an SVT and a 'fridge. Or one of the other big rigs.

If you've gotta play that loud, get the stuff that does it. The laws of physics are not just a good idea, they are law. High average sound levels need lots of Watts plus lots of surface area.

Or, get the band to accept the concept of reasonable stage levels. Sorry, those are the only real options.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had the Eden WT800, and also the Navigator/power amp route. The latter was definitly the way to go. I was using an old lead sled Crown power Base 3 with 500 watts@8 and 700watts@4ohms.

The Crown amp yielded massive headroom, low end girth and sheer grunt. The WT800 was fine for clubs, but ran out of steam with two 8 ohm cabs per side @ 8 ohms. (HT210 and HT115)

Ditch the WT800 and get the beef. You won't ever be bass lite again.
  18. You can use your headphone out jack to send a controllable signal to an external power amp. I slave my 4 pro with the WT800B this way.
  19. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR

How about the WT800B? It bridges to 4ohms.... Think it would equal the pwr amp/Nav rig? I'm thinking about it for a HT210/115 stack. Think it's got the cajones now, with the B upgrade? I don't have access to one, the only dealer in town just has the little TimeTraveler in stock..:crying:

I do have a power amp already, a Crest LT-1000. I'm just trying to weigh getting a pre for this vs. an all-in-one killer head. :ninja:

.....if I go the pre/pwr route, I think I'll eventually get a CA6 instead....
  20. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had the same issue with my WT800....had to use 6 tens to squeeze enough volume with clean unclipped headroom...on stage with a loud band....beautiful tone, but....
    Switched to a preamp and QSC PLX2402.....and boom POWER :hyper: never clipped again:p