Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting more volume out of my setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kronos, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    As some of you already know, I run my stuff through Behringer gear.

Well, after being a part of TB for a while now, and reading about Behringer's practices as a company, I believe it when people say that their power amps don't provide nearly the power they say they do.

Here's my situation. After I had a problem with their BX3000t head, and sent it for repairs, I needed a cheap alternative so we could play our next show, so I bought their EP 2500 2400 watt power amp and used my DigiTech BNX3 as a preamp. I emailed the tech people at Behringer (who, I do have to admit were very nice and speedy with the response) told me how to set the dipswitches so I don't blow out my speakers (I play through their BA210 aluminum cone cab, rated at 500 watts and their BA115 rated at 600 watts).Well, needless to say, the power seemed lacking. I figured this was since I wasn't running a real preamp through it, so I waited until I got the other head back. I ran the line out into the power amp, and it turns out that for me to compete with my guitarist (who was running 120 watts at the time through a crappy Crate halfstack), I had to crank the power amp almost all the way (which was when the clip lights barely flicker when I really dig in).

Here's the specs for the power amp. Each cab is rated at 8 ohms, and they're run out of separate outputs (didn't think I should run them both out of one output, as it would only cut my power in half, I believe):

20Hz-20kHz @ 0.1%THD
    both channels driven

8ohms per channel 450 watts
    4ohms per channel 650 watts

1kHz @ 0.1%THD
    both channels driven

8ohms per channel 500 watts
    4ohms per channel 750 watts
    2ohms per channel 1200 watts

Bridged Mono

8ohms 20Hz-20kHz, 0.1% THD 1300 watts
    8ohms 1kHz, 0.1%THD 1500 watts
    4ohms 1kHz, 1%THD 2400 watts

taken from :

http://www.behringerdownload.de/EP1500_EP2500/EP2500_SPECS_Rev_A.pdf

It doesn't say anything about RMS on this or the instruction booklet.

Neither does the cab booklets

Besides buying new equipment, what would you guys suggest I do for more volume?

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I cant help with the questions, sorry but im also thinking of getting this power amp to run with my ABM300 head.
    Can i ask you what you think of the tone from it?
    I guess you could try running the amp in bridged mode linked together (this is what i plan on doing, in to my Schroeder 1210) but you need to be careful not to turn the amp to high. i dont know what the dip switches do but if you are running each 8 ohms cab from a different channel you might be getting less per channel than the cabs can handle.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think your main problem is not power or wattage, but your inefficent cabinets.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    @davebass5-

The sound out of the power amp is a flat response, so without a proper preamp or running your head's line out, it sounds a bit muddy.

@cheezewiz-

I was afraid of that, because obviously new cabs are out of my price range right now (unless I can find some good used ones)

Here's the spec for the BA 210 cab...

95dB @ 1W/1m
    8ohm
    Freq response 42Hz-16kHz
    Power (RMS/Music) 500 W

and the BA115

97dB @ 1W/1m
    8 ohm
    Freq response 40Hz-16kHz
    Power (RMS/Music) 600 Watts.

That really is inefficient for that dB count, by other cab standards at least. So, essentially, other cabs put out more dB per watt. Is this true? Any suggestions on what cabs I should go for? I'd like to go with either a 4X10 and 1X15 setup or another 2X10 and 1X15 setup for portability reasons.

Any more help is greatly appreciated!!

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Whoa. Those specs are even worse than I feared. Those are some EXTREMELY inefficient cabs. I'm personally not a huge fan of the ones I've heard, but Avatar may be the way to go. They are very reasonably priced, have A LOT of fans here so they certainly can't be all bad, and the specs are much better.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    What kind of sound do the Avatar cabs give off? Is it more of a warm tone, or a crisp one? I have a pretty crunchy/mid/high mildly distorted combined with clean tone. My sound sounds similar to that "meshuggah" type tone. Do you think the Avatar cabs would supply me with something close?

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the reply.
    yep, those cabs are quiet compared to a lot of others.
    Just as an example i just use a Schroeder 1210 4ohms and the spl of that is 102db. The cab is said to be as loud as some4x10 cabs but is smaller and lighter than any of them.
    I know you cant afford one of these but maybe you could get a couple of 4ohms cabs. you will be able to put more watts in to them although its not always about watts.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, I'm learning that now. But, I've just gotten finished researching some reviews on Avatar cabs, and from what I've read, they've gotten good reviews on HarmonyCentral and BGRA. I might end up getting new cabs from there, once I can unload the Behringer stuff for cheap plus shipping. I hate to have someone else play through them, but I can't burn them, and I would like to get some money back off of what I spent.

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Get another 300 watt behringer head and a ba410,and run them together with your 210 115 rig, and BOOM!!!!:eek:
    your rig will be very loud for not too much dough! There are always heads and cabs floating around on egay for cheap.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I like your thinking, Triclops, BUUUUUT...why get another head when I'm running about 900 watts as is? I have the BX3000t AND the EP2500 power amp. Should be plenty enough power for whatever cabs I have, but I'm just not getting the volume.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    have you tried altering the DIP switches to allow more power out of the amp?

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That would be my next step, but that would mean bridging the power amp, and having an output of 2400 watts into speakers that can handle 1100. That could mean blown speakers, which I'm afraid of.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You shouldn't need to worry too much about that. Just keep a watchful ear for any cab farting noises, and you should be fine.

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'll give it a try and see what I come up with this weekend.

Otherwise, I'm going to end up getting Avatar cabs.